Got a good deal on a 700G GLASS TANK, BUT WILL IT HOLD? Help please (pics)

Kots

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2015
My tank
Just got a very good deal on a Glass Tank of the following dimensions 10'x3,2'x3,2'

it comes with a large sump, overflows, stand, pump and some other stuff,

the whole thing is gonna cost me less than $1000 so I think its a pretty good deal since I was looking to make large tank by myself at this point.

but my concerns are if its safe considering the volume and height of water, I am considering to modify the overflow in order to keep the water height at about 2,5'.

the tank has a double bottom and some bracing on top, since I'm not familiar with tanks this big, I'm turning to the more experienced guys here to provide their knowledge,

I only took a couple of top pictures of the large tank showing the bracings and also the last pic is from a smaller tank but it shows the way its joined at the bottom
View attachment 1067723
View attachment 1067724
View attachment 1067725

Obviously transferring this will be a killer job.
Thanks guys

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Does it look like bracing is missing? That would be my first question looking at it, Glass tanks actually often split the silicone around the top bracing making it free floating and only held on at one spot or so, When was it last full of water

Kots

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2015
My tank
No bracing is missing, this is its way of construction, it was emptied a year ago after a year of operation, there were other tanks there also all upwards of 300G and they were all made this way,

Im not familiar with glass ranks this big so I need to know if its gonna be ok on the long run.

thanks for the help

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
I mean nobody can give you any guarantee exactly, I mean you have not said how thick the glass is which is important, at some point you will just have to make up your own mind, but we can only say on what you give us, you need to look over the tank very well, dont be rushed

Kots

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2015
My tank
sorry I thought I mentioned the glass,

its 20mm thick

From what I saw, it has a double bottom, the lower sheet of glass is 20mm bigger on all sides than the top sheet, providing more surface joined with silicon, the bottom one and the side one, I think you can see this on the last pic.

I just wanna know how you guys would go for this tank with glass, or maybe there is something I can do to provide some more strength to it

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
It's only a good deal if it's a solid tank that won't fail.

With something like this - definitely make sure it is water tested for a couple of weeks BEFORE buying it.

If it fails, it's not worth $2. For $1,000 or a bit less, I would buy something that I feel secure and safe with.

Joao M

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2010
Portugal
Hi

Until December ´14 I had a glass tank similar to that: 10 x 4 x 28". It was built with 15mm glass and had a safety coefficient/factor of 3.5. Usually companies aim at a minimum safety factor of 2.5. (technically my tank could have been made with 13mm glass)

The company that built it said that if I wanted to go to 30" high and to have the same safety I would need 19mm glass.

I am not an expert in building glass tanks (only in buying them...) but I would be scared with 3,2 high at 20mm = 2.5 safety factor.
I would aim at a minimum of 3.

So, based on this calculator:
http://www.theaquatools.com/building-your-aquarium

with 20mm glass you would be able to have you water level as high as 85cms/33". So, based on that , at 2,5´ I would "feel" safe.

Edit: as long as the silicon is good...

Kots

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2015
My tank
Hi

Until December ´14 I had a glass tank similar to that: 10 x 4 x 28". It was built with 15mm glass and had a safety coefficient/factor of 3.5. Usually companies aim at a minimum safety factor of 2.5. (technically my tank could have been made with 13mm glass)

The company that built it said that if I wanted to go to 30" high and to have the same safety I would need 19mm glass.

I am not an expert in building glass tanks (only in buying them...) but I would be scared with 3,2 high at 20mm = 2.5 safety factor.
I would aim at a minimum of 3.

So, based on this calculator:
http://www.theaquatools.com/building-your-aquarium

with 20mm glass you would be able to have you water level as high as 85cms/33". So, based on that , at 2,5´ I would "feel" safe.

Edit: as long as the silicon is good...
Dear,
thanks for the advice, these tanks are up for sale from a now closed public aquarium, it operated for just over a year,

a friend of mine got a 1200liter tank from there and has been operating it with no problems for about a year and a half now.

anyway Im thinking of modifying the overflow on this tank so that the depth of water will be about 2 feet. This should reduce the pressure on the walls quite a bit I think

was your tank only silicone joined? Or did it have any additional bracing at the bottom?

I just want to know how would others build a tank this size using glass..

Joao M

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2010
Portugal
The bottom of my tank was only silicone joine and it had the normal bracing on the top. There is a thread on the building of it, but I can´t find it and at the moment I don´t have time to look for it. Maybe later

When I moved back into the city, I had to sell the tank because of the size and weight...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store