Peat Tea

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Any of you guys with black water tanks make peat tea? About once a week I fill two large mesh bags with Peat Moss put them into a two gallon pot and simmer them for about an hour. If I have Almond leaves I'll throw a couple of them into the pot too. I use it during the week with water water changes. A big Bail of Peat is only a few bucks and lasts about a year. Much cheaper then additives you buy at the store. This in conjunction with peat filtration keeps the water looking good and the levels steady.

A glass of Peat tea.

007.JPG

A glass of Almond leaf tea.

008.JPG

007.JPG

008.JPG

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Added a picture of Almond tea above for comparison to Peat.

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
Any of you guys with black water tanks make peat tea? About once a week I fill two large mesh bags with Peat Moss put them into a two gallon pot and simmer them for about an hour. If I have Almond leaves I'll throw a couple of them into the pot too. I use it during the week with water water changes. A big Bail of Peat is only a few bucks and lasts about a year. Much cheaper then additives you buy at the store. This in conjunction with peat filtration keeps the water looking good and the levels steady.

A glass of Peat tea.

View attachment 1067809

A glass of Almond leaf tea.

View attachment 1067824
Is there a ph difference between the peat and almond?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
That's a cool idea. I toyed around with using peat and additives but I wasn't diligent enough to keep it consistent and keep a handle on my ph so I stopped.

I do love the look of tannins in black water tanks

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
It works well just monitor before and after a water change so you know where your at. Its not exact so some trial and error is required. Just don't add too much at once. The Almond leaves are stronger than peat as you can see in the photos and release more tannins so Almond tea will lower the Ph quicker than peat which isn't always a good thing, so use it sparingly.

Reactions: mrrobxc

souzie

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 13, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I don't make tea.

I get peat pellets, put them in a mesh bag and leave it in my HOB filter.

For almond leaves, I just throw them in the tank...I think it looks pretty. ;)

image.jpg

image.jpg

Reactions: West1

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
For me the peat pellets aren't always easy to find and are more expensive then bulk peat moss from the garden center but I've used them and they work well. I don't use leaf litter because once they start to break down they are messy and a PITA to get out of the tank, but again yes it also gets the job done. I use the tea with water changes to keep the water going in the same as the water I'm removing.

Nice looking Piranhas and your substrate looks immaculate.

Reactions: mrrobxc

souzie

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 13, 2014
Ontario, Canada
For me the peat pellets aren't always easy to find and are more expensive then bulk peat moss from the garden center but I've used them and they work well. I don't use leaf litter because once they start to break down they are messy and a PITA to get out of the tank, but again yes it also gets the job done. I use the tea with water changes to keep the water going in the same as the water I'm removing.

Nice looking Piranhas and your substrate looks immaculate.
Thanks!

I net all the leaves out and replace them every month but you're right...it does tend to get a little messy. Especially towards the end of the month.

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Nice and easy, and the good thing is: You know exactly what goes into your tank.
Back in the 90's I used to pour Tetra ToruMin into my tank, and was wondering why algae bloomed. Turns out, Tetra added phosphates as stabilizers to their additive. How smart was that...

You well suit your handle, Aquanero!

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
It works great there are no additional additives and I can measure and dose the same amount every time.

Not many people pick up on the screen name.....I'm impressed.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store