What should I expect??

mr fishy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2012
florida
Ordering some baby polypterus soon, endlicheri,buettikoferi and possibly an ornate all3-3.5" these are my first different polys. I have a 7" Senegal at my moms and it's my favorite fish. I know it's highly addicting, I was just wondering how addicting? xD lol going in a 30 gallon to start off, thinking about black sand is that a good substrate? How long till I need a bigger tank? Got plenty of tanks that's just the only one I'm setting up right away. And what is the best food for them?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
At 3.5" that tank will last a few months but I'd consider just setting up at least a 55-75 now and that way you have some time before you need something bigger. Polys are super addicting, you wont stop at just 4 or 5 believe me...they eat everything from pellets to prepared tilapia and shrimp and in some cases take live food too. I would recommend getting them on pellets and tilapia ASAP to ensure a well rounded diet.

Askaleymanfish

Aimara
MFK Member
May 15, 2014
Danville Virginia
More addicting than crack bro .... IMO that buetikoferi will get eat within 3 months by that endli .... So be warned ... Juvie endlis eat bichirs and in 3 months if u feed tilapia or massivore the endli will be 9-10" the buet might be 5" if lucky lol u will need ark east a 55 gal soon better a 75 tho it will last much longer

mr fishy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2012
florida
More addicting than crack bro .... IMO that buetikoferi will get eat within 3 months by that endli .... So be warned ... Juvie endlis eat bichirs and in 3 months if u feed tilapia or massivore the endli will be 9-10" the buet might be 5" if lucky lol u will need ark east a 55 gal soon better a 75 tho it will last much longer

So should I just maybe get 2 endlis instead? I have a 75 but just at my grandmas in Georgia. So I can't go get it till atleast summer.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Youll be fine until summer. It won't matter, they'll eat their own kind too haha. I'd go with your original plan, just keep a close eye on them, and feed them every day. It's hit or miss on polys sometimes in that respect. I put a 3" Senegal in with a then 7" delhezi and they never had an issue, just depends on the fish.

Askaleymanfish

Aimara
MFK Member
May 15, 2014
Danville Virginia
So should I just maybe get 2 endlis instead? I have a 75 but just at my grandmas in Georgia. So I can't go get it till atleast summer.

If u gettin ornates and endlis ... Ur best bet is to not get the buetikoferi unless u can find one at a larger size (8-10")... Summer would be plenty enough time

MrBlueDream

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2015
3rd rock
I bought 2" senegalus for my 120 gallon.
Only issue is that they need to swim far to the surface (24").
But they seem to love the large space compared to when I used to grow them out in 55s.
IMO the larger tank makes my fish grow even faster.

mr fishy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2012
florida

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
I would get one endli and one ornate. There are quite a few to choose from. I wouldn't get two of any one species until you have been around the block and know precisely what you want.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store