So I want to build an aquarium, and I have a question??

Where do I get the glass?

I want to build these dimensions:

24 1/4 x 12 1/2 x 24 3/4 (30 gallon extra high)

Can I just go to home depot and ask them to cut some glass for me? Will they do this? Is their glass the type of glass I need? Does it need to be tempered? Is this an expensive project?

The reason I want to build it is because I have a custom stand with that foot print and i want to use the custom stand, and i can't find a 30 gallon extra high for sale anywhere anymore.

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
Personally, I would recommend an actual glass shop.. every city has them. I wouldn't want to risk the possibility of someone fairly unskilled/experienced sizing and cutting to the specs I give them. You generally get better cuts as well.. some of them grind down the edges as just a part of what they do as well.

Personally, I would recommend an actual glass shop.. every city has them. I wouldn't want to risk the possibility of someone fairly unskilled/experienced sizing and cutting to the specs I give them. You generally get better cuts as well.. some of them grind down the edges as just a part of what they do as well.
Is it expensive?

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Well, why not just buy 40G at petco when they are on sale 1 dollar per galon?
Not very wise to build a tank that easy to get in any LFS and beware it will cost you alot more than 40 bucks to build that 30G aquarium and change that you mess it up (no offense since you are asking that newbie question so I'm assuming this is your 1st time) too :D also 30G rimless tank in any chinese LFS only cost $29

Not very wise to build a tank that easy to get in any LFS and beware it will cost you alot more than 40 bucks to build that 30G aquarium and change that you mess it up (no offense since you are asking that newbie question so I'm assuming this is your 1st time) too :D also 30G rimless tank in any chinese LFS only cost $29
i'm about as new as dirt.

i want the tallest possible tank with a 24 by 12 foot print. And i can't find 30 X high for sale anymore.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
Not too bad. Probably around $100. I've had tops cut at a glass shop and it wasn't too expensive.

I'd go with probably 1/4" glass. Thay may be a little overkill.

You could probably order one from glass cages or some online retailer. A 30 high isn't too big and could probably be shipped.

Ask your lfs too. They may be able to order one

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store