Pup tanks - what do you guys use for sizes and filtration?

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Have a bit of time to set up a nice pup tank but I wan't to do it right. What size of tanks would you guys use? I have a 180 they can go in after a while, but initially was wondering what you guys use, I'd say anywhere from 35-75?

How do you guys prefer to filter them? I have an fx5 that is just a little bit of an added bonus running on my sump right now, obviously seeded with same bacteria as main tank, I was thinking about just putting that guy on the pup tank and leaving it at that until they get bigger? The other option I was thinking of is creating it as a loop off of my main tank. If I go that route, how many GPH of my main tank/sump water should I be pumping through the pup tank? I imagine they probably don't like too much current, just wondering what an acceptable flow rate is for pups if I do go the loop route?

Thanks in advance.

festaedan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2013
Maryland
I havnt raised any pups but I'd boost the filtration and then tie in the pup tank so its the same water they were born in.

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Pups= Tons of mess for feedings, Lots of left over food, I have two pup tubs I hang in my main tank, plus a 75 gallon tank, all made into one big system with other tanks,

Blkpiranha

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
Floating box in the tank where they were born so I can see them eat and after a month or so and when they are pellet trained they go into a 150 gallon. Filtration is 2 aquaclear 110's and an FX5 with 5-6 day water changes. No powerheads running as I have discus in the tank but I do have a couple of bubblers running off an airpump in the tank.

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
I have a 24"x14"x14" tank which is pumped by a 3000ltr sump pump running from my main tank sump so it's the same water. The pump is a Jebao and controllable so i can throttle back the turn over and this is pumped out through a spray bar into the pump tank which keeps everything turning over nice whilst being able to to control the turbulence depending on size and strength of the pups. Works well, but only move them into this from the floating box once i know they are eating. Cant beat the floating box for being able to dump food into and allow it to escape if the pups don't eat it. Saves lots of messing around and syphoning out uneaten food when the pups are younger.

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
On the smaller side for me, but my pups are small when born. I use a 30 gal breeder tank with an Aquaclear hob filter, I think it is the model 50. Water changes every few days after the pups are added. I set the tank up when I figure the mom is close to giving birth with substrate and 100 % tank water. I always have sponges in the sump of the main tank to fit the hob filter, so it's easy to grab those and fire up the pup tank.

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Woohoo thanks for all the replies guys. If I go the fx5 route I will for sure take some of the gravel out of the main tank and use 100% tank water, fx5 running on the sump of main tank anyway so that should prevent any water quality issues. I probably would prefer to go drilled tank and loop it in the system just for ease of not having to WC, keeping a heater out of the tank, etc. I probably will go 55-75 gal, but if I find a nice 35 gal drilled may do that too since I have a 180 for them to go in when they get bigger.

Can you guys shed more light on the floating tub? I know a lot of guys use them, but I am not too familiar. How big of a tub, what do you do to prepare it, how do you suspend it, etc.? Pictures would be great. I honestly feel I would prefer to just move them in their own tank early on, I mean what's the difference if it's the same water, etc. and the prego female loves riding the powerhead a lot and the other female I catch her about once a week floating upside down trying to suction to the surface of the water, but obviously a lot of guys prefer the other way, so would be happy to explore that option.

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Forgot to say my pup tubs are 36x18

Pups= Tons of mess for feedings, Lots of left over food, I have two pup tubs I hang in my main tank, plus a 75 gallon tank, all made into one big system with other tanks,

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Forgot to say my pup tubs are 36x18

Whats the third dimension? Right now I am picturing a big rubbermaid tupperware container, with the lid on, hung from the brace of the tank so it is at the top, with holes drilled in it for water to get through, that you open up whenever it is feeding time. Jim mentioned floating, is there literally a way to make it float on the water or did he just mean suspended? Is placement of the tub important, like near a powerhead to make sure water gets through? Holes only in the sides or in the bottom too, how many, big etc.? Any substrate added? I'm clueless here, but seems like a good idea. Wish the search function worked for me on here.

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
if you go with a floating tub, I would drill holes in the sides. maybe direct a powerhead towards the tub to ensure water flows through it. I think someone here actually mounted a small pump to the outside of the floating tub to pump water into it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store