How to tell if a LFS stingray is healthy?! Help!

Mihajlo525

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2015
Canada
Hey guys, sadly a couple weeks ago my reticulated stingray died. I have done a lot of research on his death but then again I'm not even 100% sure, my main conclusion was ammonia poisoning. So anyways, after getting rid of two fish, and on to the third, I also did a restless amount of research and I know how to make my tank suitable for another ray. I plan on getting another retic ray once I boost my biofiltration soon. So I want know from an experts point of view how you can tell if a LFS ray is healthy? I know so far that if it's stomach is sunken in it's not eating (also the hip bones protruding). And possibly the most obvious, if it's fins are curling it has death curl. But can anyone tell me fool proof ways to tell if a LFS stingray is healthy or if it has diseases and what diseases?? I'm planning on getting it from a different LFS before because it's closer and cheaper (the other LFS was good still). So I want to make sure that the rays they have are healthy. Thanks for reading!

moosemj

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2012
Illinois
Make sure it's a reputable pet store that deals with exotics.

For me, if they have some junk in the trunk and are eating that's good. Obviously look for any sort of red on their bellies and like you said the disc. With fish there are never guarantees, but if those things exist I would feel comfortable buying them.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Mihajlo525

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2015
Canada
Make sure it's a reputable pet store that deals with exotics.

For me, if they have some junk in the trunk and are eating that's good. Obviously look for any sort of red on their bellies and like you said the disc. With fish there are never guarantees, but if those things exist I would feel comfortable buying them.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Thanks! Are there any other ways to see parasites? Or what other kind of external parasites they have?

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
Thanks! Are there any other ways to see parasites? Or what other kind of external parasites they have?
You can not see internal parasites... but you may see external like fish lice. For me personally- If I were looking to buy a retic in a store I would ask to see it eat- if it is eating I would then tell the store I wanted to think about it wait a week or so go back to the store and if that same ray was there with no ill effects from the last time I saw it and still eating then I would consider buying it.

Mihajlo525

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2015
Canada
You can not see internal parasites... but you may see external like fish lice. For me personally- If I were looking to buy a retic in a store I would ask to see it eat- if it is eating I would then tell the store I wanted to think about it wait a week or so go back to the store and if that same ray was there with no ill effects from the last time I saw it and still eating then I would consider buying it.
Thanks! Seems like a good idea. I'll look more into fish lice.

festaedan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2013
Maryland
I agree with everything said above. Also, look for white, cotton like fungus on the tail. 50% of the retics come in like that and the fungus quickly spreads up the tail. It always ends up killing the ray. Also, if this lfs will hold the fish for you, ask them to hold it, and then post some pics to get a second opinion. I've learned my lesson after buying a henlei from a shady store and wake up to the little guy all curlled up and dead. I posted up pics of him in the bag and it turns out that he was extremely sick when I bought hime.

Mihajlo525

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2015
Canada
I agree with everything said above. Also, look for white, cotton like fungus on the tail. 50% of the retics come in like that and the fungus quickly spreads up the tail. It always ends up killing the ray. Also, if this lfs will hold the fish for you, ask them to hold it, and then post some pics to get a second opinion. I've learned my lesson after buying a henlei from a shady store and wake up to the little guy all curlled up and dead. I posted up pics of him in the bag and it turns out that he was extremely sick when I bought hime.
Damn that must have sucked ALOT! I think the fungus would be easy to spot since the end of their tails are relatively black. So fungus, fish lice, and obviously curling of the fins. Can you or anyone tell me body movements of a unhealthy ray and healthy one? And possibly what fish lice looks like on rays? Thanks!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store