Mysterious Death Round Two

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
Back in the fall around Halloween time the temperatures outside dropped in typical fall fashion and my tank that usually stayed at 78 dropped to 74 due to a heater failure. Witch started a complete ich outbreak and I lost my emperor angel and my porcupine puffer but somehow kept my kole tang and raccoon butterfly. After a nice long qt I added the fish back in early January. I feed the tank but apparently I shocked the system and had a nitrite spike which promptly killed the raccoon.
I slowly rebuilt the stock and gradually added a blue faced angelfish, a yellow tang, a bi-color goatfish and a porcupine puffer after qt them and monitoring water test results. All test came out perfect and everything thing stayed stable and perfect. All the fish were feeding great and growing great.
Now yesterday I feed the tank at roughly 7 o'clock and they all feed good. At 10 o'clock I went to turn off the lights and my goatfish was dead on his side.
ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1427847275.098509.jpg
Anyone got any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
What are actual water parameters? Both at the time and leading up to it.

Ph leading up-8.1
Ph at time of death- 8.1
NH3/NH4+ lead up-0
NH3/NH4+ time of death-0
NO2 lead up-0
NO2 time of death-0
NO3 lead up- 0-5
NO3 time of death-0-5

Salinity stayed at 1.025-1.025

Goat fish did eat ghost shrimp then was converted to frozen shrimp.

muttley000

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2011
West Unity, OH
How big is this tank? You've got it stocked like a 180 but I don't remember your tank being that big. This generally stresses fish and makes odd things happen.
Was your goatfish rooting around in a deep sand bed and could have eaten something it wished it didn't by any chance?

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
How big is this tank? You've got it stocked like a 180 but I don't remember your tank being that big. This generally stresses fish and makes odd things happen.
Was your goatfish rooting around in a deep sand bed and could have eaten something it wished it didn't by any chance?
65 with 15 in the sump. 3'x1.5'x2'

He was in the rocks hunting my snails and hermit crabs.

muttley000

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2011
West Unity, OH
My guess is still general accumulated stress, not one of those fish belongs in a 65 in my opinion. I would think your tang and angelfish pacing the tank as they want way more swimming room than this were driving it nuts! Goats want very peaceful settings with easy going tankmates.

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
My guess is still general accumulated stress, not one of those fish belongs in a 65 in my opinion. I would think your tang and angelfish pacing the tank as they want way more swimming room than this were driving it nuts! Goats want very peaceful settings with easy going tankmates.
The big tank is almost funded.

None of the fish belong in the tank I agree with that.

I don't see how if a tank is 9 times the length of the fish it's too small.

muttley000

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2011
West Unity, OH
P
The big tank is almost funded.

None of the fish belong in the tank I agree with that.

I don't see how if a tank is 9 times the length of the fish it's too small.

It is a little counterintuitive. I know you are a reader of wet web media, there is a lot of reading there in the species you are wanting that would help! Can't wait to see your bigger tank come together!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store