Featherfin Catfish

marconi

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Video of my big guy. I've had him for around 8 years and is currently my oldest fish. He's missing one of his gill plates from an encounter with my dovii many years ago but it doesn't seem to effect him.

[video=youtube;btXxTCNYeLA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btXxTCNYeLA[/video]

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Nicely shot vid and nice tank. It should probably be in the Video Lounge forum.

I was going to venture a guess that it looks like it could be the "galinae" variety of eupterus but then I saw it's asymmetric skull and eyes and thence, the blunt / short snout could be just a deformity commonly seen in eupterus in the trade.

My "galinae": my too was "messed"up, it's mouth strongly skewed to the left.

Synodontis galinae - euptera.jpg

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
Nice :D
Have one about the same size, really enjoy him/her, even though i wonder how you keep yours that condition. Mine seems obese, and nothing done seems to help, or atleast the weight has been gained again. Mines newest thing is to try and push my other Synodontis, that is smaller, and not in the same condition, out of hes/her vertical position inside a rock, just to try and it him/her self down into the position, and realise he/shes to big to fit in their good, and leave haha.

Thebiggerthebetter, was is this galinae? Some sort of special location Eupterus or something. Mine looks alot like your, in the spots and colaration.

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
Thanks thebiggerthebetter, any charetestics to identify galinea?
I imagine this whole galinea thing is kinda tricky, i mean most Eupterus are captive bred?
Identifying between galinea x eupterus, galinea and just eupterus, can only be hard, theres even the possibility for a galinea x eupterus x galinea?

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Galinae, not galinea, but yes, Karl, IDK more than what's been said. It does not look a valid species although listed as one in one source. May be a sub-sp, may be not. The only characteristic that I know of is a shorter than usual snout.

The deformities abound in euptera as they are artificially bred so I imagine this does not help the clarity.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store