Sump vs cannister for 125g

Celestialsins

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2015
Florida
Hi, I am getting a 125g tank next week and it is already drilled from a previous marine setup. I have never had a tank this large was curious about suggested filtration. The pipes are damaged and would need to be redone. The price of getting a Fluval FX6 or Ehiem pro 3 is not an issue and if that would be enough filtration, may be preferable to a sump as I have no experience piping or plumbing. If the sump would be better, I could try and learn that though. My stand is 74" by 20" by 30" tall. My planned stock for the tank is 3 rope, 1 eel or bichir, 3 butterfly fish, 1 leopard ctenopoma, congo tetras, african knife, and a synodontis catfish. I know the eels can climb into the FX when it shuts of but I was planning on sealing any pipe with screen or larger mesh in which the eel couldn't escape. Suggestions?

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
If possible, could you share a picture of your tank, including shots of the drilled holes and overflow? I think generally speaking you can't go wrong with having a sump for filtration and putting our your gear in, etc. Having said that, it doesn't mean the canisters aren't more than sufficient. In fact, based on how your tank is set-up it may be better to go that route if you don't want to mess with all the plumbing. That's why a picture to show what we're dealing with would help and we can see how much work you need to do too.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
You're best off with a sump if the tank is drilled.

It's really simple and easy to do. Check out the diy and setup/filtration forums. There is a plethora of information about setup.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Celestialsins

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2015
Florida
I don't have pictures currently but I can get them once the tank arrives and I am back in town (3 weeks). I am also contacting to see if I can get pictures texted sooner so hopefully I can post them sooner. It is good to know that canisters would be enough if I don't want to undergo making a sump though. I am also a bit concerned that my cat would get into it, she has fallen into tanks many times... Is there increased leak chance with a sump vs canister?

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
I think there are many folks on this forum that use canisters (multiple canisters) for tanks much larger, so I'd say that should not be an issue. You could put lids on your sump chambers if you're concerned about your cat. Also, more than likely you'll have doors on your stand (where the sump will likely be) so that would help too.

I think in terms of making a sump and plumbing, it really depends on the individual's skills (are those around that can help), how much you want to put effort into it, what's "good enough" vs. "never enough" in terms of the results you want. Yes, there are chances of leak with the sump plumbing, but just take your time. With the right planning, connecting and test, you'll catch any leaks and can correct. It's not like your building a house :), but IMO does require some planning and research if you have never done it (as with all things in life right?). I think the benefits outweigh the effort and any risks with a sump. But nothing wrong with canisters either.

chopsteeks

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
Denver
I have several 125 + gallon tanks. I have FX6 on some and wet dry on others. I prefer sumps----much much easier to maintain. I can put my heater in the sump, add medicines is sump.

Planning to replace all my canisters with wet dry filter this year.

Celestialsins

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2015
Florida
Okay, thanks for all the input. What size tank for a sump on a 125 gallon would be good? Petco has that nice sale right now. Would a 20 long be too small? Would a dremmel be enough to cut the piping?

millerkid519

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
stratford ontario canada
If have the ability to build a sump go that route. It is more work in setting up but in the long run sump is much easier then a canister to maintain and you get exactly what you want and need for whatever fish you are keeping. I have both and prefer sump.
I think a 60 gallon would be more then enough for whatever you want I a 125 depending on what media you are going to have in it. I have a big sump with 25l k1 , 10 gallon bio balls, and 20 sticks of bamboo. Next week I'm getting 10 kg of biohome media and stuffing it in there somewhere to.
Over filter don't just get enough to do the job

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store