Water filtering question

warhawk

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2015
Indiana
So work is slow and I'm sitting here thinking about ways to make my fish room nicer and less work. So I thought about improving my water change system but wanted to bounce the idea off some of you guys/gals.

So my local tap water has Chlorine in it and I use prime to remove that. I have seen other people set up automatic water changing but with the chlorine I can't just set up a automatic water change system because I would have to remove the chlorine first. Would something like this work to make the water safe for the tanks? http://www.amazon.com/Camco-40631-P...id=1427918455&sr=8-7&keywords=chlorine+filter The filter should remove anything harmful to the fish but I have read that the fish and plants need some of the minerals to be left in the water. I have also read that RO water isn't good for fish because it lacks those things they need. ( I know the filter is not a RO system)

I think I could sale my wife on the idea of adding one to our house and just tap in for the tanks. Saving me a bottle of prime every month would be a nice benefit also.

warhawk

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2015
Indiana
How many drops a sec would be a good starting point and still be safe? From what I have been able to work out a drip system with something like 3-4 drops a sec is about 4 gallons a day. So that wouldn't be enough water to hurt the bio? I would assume the tank size will play a part in that also. In a 20g 4 gallons is a 20% every day but in a 125g 4 gallon only a 3% change every day. That 4 gallons might not hurt the 125 but would be a lot in the 20g.

Not trying to argue the point just want to make sure I understand.

qguy

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
Vancouver. Canada
20 percent should be safe regardless of size of tank, ,unless your dealing with really really small fish like neon tetras...

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
I wouldn't dump 20% untreated water into my tank a day. Maybe I'm wrong but that just sounds straight up silly. You can buy or even make a large chemical pre filter that the water passes through before reaching your tanks.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

warhawk

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2015
Indiana
I found a article here on the site that shows taking a 55g barrel allowing it to fill up and "Age" the water while you pump that water into your drip system. That way I'm not putting chlorine into my tanks but it would require more work to set up. I'm not against the work just want to make sure I don't have to redo the system as my fish room grows.

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
I found a article here on the site that shows taking a 55g barrel allowing it to fill up and "Age" the water while you pump that water into your drip system. That way I'm not putting chlorine into my tanks but it would require more work to set up. I'm not against the work just want to make sure I don't have to redo the system as my fish room grows.
theoretically that should work. It would depend on the flow rate.. it would have to be quite slow to evaporate the chlorine before it reaches the tank.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
My first question, are you absolutely positive it is chlorine, and not chloramines. If just chlorine, you are in good shape. I did a 50% water change in a tank recently and tested the aquarium for chlorine. (I don't treat my water) It read at .05 PPM. That is 5 100ths of a mg in a liter of water. That is real dang close to none. I would suggest you see what your chlorine is out of the tap, after letting it run for a minute or so. You may be like me and not need to worry about doing anything.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store