Male Thai Silk and Female SRD just breed

S4Detroit

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2015
Detroit,Mi
Im super excited rite now. Just came home crom work and went to feed the fish and noticed the SRD wouldn't come up to eat like she normally does. Looked over at her nest she built and there are about 500 eggs rite now. She has been in breeding dress for the past 6 weeks. Female is about 5" and my male is 12" both fish have kok's so I hope to have some awesome fish. We just moved to the new house and there are other fish in the tank with them so all my other fish will be moved out of the tank tomorrow. I will be sure to post pics tomorrow. This is my fish successful flowerhorn pair. I have had many large males kill there females after being together for 6+ months. I am even more excited that my Male silk is fertile.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Beautiful fish congrats on the eggs. How big are the adults

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

S4Detroit

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2015
Detroit,Mi
Thanks everyone. I picked up the Silk at 1" and ended up with a awesome imported male. He had His KOK come in at 1.5" and the female SRD has a nice KOK for a small female. Sucks I just sold all my extra tanks 2 weeks ago because I didn't want to move them. I still have my 6x2 200 gallon but it's broke down waiting to reseal it.

I have left over fish from the tanks I sold that are all in with the pair. 2 Birchers, Rainbow FH, SRD female" breeders sister", 3 Cory cats and 3 Tinfoil barbs. All but the rainbow will be taken to lfs today after work. I will use the trade in to grab more sponge filters.

Pissed Comcast hasn't made it to the new house to get my wifi set up yet. Get no signal from Tmobile cause I'm so close to Canada so I can only run 2g at home rite now. But I will keep this thread updated as they hatch and grow. Plan on crossing the best fry to the rainbow later this summer to see what I can get. I got a lot of work ahead of me to see if I can get a new look.

20150401_212210.jpg

20150401_212220.jpg

20150401_212247.jpg

S4Detroit

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2015
Detroit,Mi
Here are picks of female before breeding dress from a month before introducing her to my male. Had her in the males tank for 2 weeks with a 1/2" glass divider to see how the male felt about having her in the tank.

20150223_191541.jpg

S4Detroit

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2015
Detroit,Mi
Lost about half the eggs to fungus from being on the wood and the male eating them. Not sure if he was just trying to remove bad eggs and damaged good eggs or what but still have around 200+ eggs. I pulled all the other fish from the tank yesterday but kept my Cory cats cause I have a breeding pair of those m too. Also kept my Rainbow FH.

Since this is the first batch I will be happy if I end up with 30 or 40 fry to raise up and sell. Plan to keep a few that show the most potential. Any of you breeders have any advice for me I would live to hear it. I have breed a few different fish over the years but never an odd couple like this.

I think this weekend I will reseal my 200 to move the breeders too and use the 75 as a grow out for my fry I plan to keep. Going to build a rack to hold grow out tanks for fry I plan to sell. Thinking a mix between 15g to some 40L I can divide off into multiple sections. If anyone has any grow out set ups I would love to see your setups for ideas. Also what would be the best food for new fry? I would love to set up a brine hatchery but with my long hours at work I need something easier that I can have my wife or kids feed fry while I'm at work.

DIRTY REDD

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2014
Maryland
I would be interested in a few... they should be some pearly fish. Congrats on the spawn...even if this one doesn't work, you know you have a viable pair so the future is looking solid.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store