New pick up. 10" Hi-Fin Shark

So does a coelacanth, does that make any less of a fish? still a really cool and neat looking peacefull fish.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
No, but it makes it a hard to care for fish when older. So what we end up buying, a small attractive fish, turns into a giant dull colored fish. See what I mean?

And if my memory serves me correctly, it turns out to be a 3 foot plus plus fish. Perhaps I am wrong.

Big Jay

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2008
Northeast
No, but it makes it a hard to care for fish when older. So what we end up buying, a small attractive fish, turns into a giant dull colored fish. See what I mean?

And if my memory serves me correctly, it turns out to be a 3 foot plus plus fish. Perhaps I am wrong.
Look has nothing to do with it. Not everyone likes bright pretty fish. Giraffe cats get huge and people love them when they get large. That's just one example. It's about appreciating the fish for what it is. They actually are quite stunning when they're large. They have a very cool shape to them and tend to be really mellow.

The real problem is that the fish thrives best in high oxygenated, lower temp water. They don't grow as well and have as long of a lifespan otherwise. They grow slow but will probably grow even slower at temps above 72 degrees. Judging by the stock in the tank, I'm guessing it's not the preferred temp range for the shark.

Look has nothing to do with it. Not everyone likes bright pretty fish. Giraffe cats get huge and people love them when they get large. That's just one example. It's about appreciating the fish for what it is. They actually are quite stunning when they're large. They have a very cool shape to them and tend to be really mellow.

The real problem is that the fish thrives best in high oxygenated, lower temp water. They don't grow as well and have as long of a lifespan otherwise. They grow slow but will probably grow even slower at temps above 72 degrees. Judging by the stock in the tank, I'm guessing it's not the preferred temp range for the shark.
Your misunderstanding me. People pick this fish because of its unique look - then are disappointed later. Look never has anything to do with it. I've based my wholw life around that motto. And i'm glad my wife subscribes to it to. :)

My real point is, does this fish not attain gargantuan proportions? Is it not a titanic food fish in its native country - a size that rivals the RTC? Correct me if im wrong.

Big Jay

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2008
Northeast
Your misunderstanding me. People pick this fish because of its unique look - then are disappointed later. Look never has anything to do with it. I've based my wholw life around that motto. And i'm glad my wife subscribes to it to. :)

My real point is, does this fish not attain gargantuan proportions? Is it not a titanic food fish in its native country - a size that rivals the RTC? Correct me if im wrong.
The real point is you said caring for a fish that's dull and drab is harder when it gets older, no? LOL

Yes they get large. 3 simple facts:

1) They get large
2) They need cool, oxygenated water
3) They do better in schools

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store