Flagtail: slime coat eaters

jwowoski

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2013
New York
I have never owned one but I have heard stories about them eating or trying to eat slime coats off other fishing which then injures the other fish. What's the deal with this? Any explanations? I'm just wondering because I'm interested into possibly buying one but I don't want it coming into my tank injury my other fish. If I'm wrong please tell me, I'm just here for answers lol
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
I've had it happen to me. Once they get the taste, forget about it. And its not just rays and bichers that they pick on.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I have one that has never messed with anyone in 2 years. I just got a new one for another tank. He is good so far.

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
I've had one in my display for a few years now and have never had any problems with him. Although like yourself, I have heard horror stories but that goes for pretty much all fish, some one somewhere has had a bad experience at some point with whatever you are wanting to put in your tank.

Coming from my experience: I'd say go for it, keep an eye out and if all else fails, just re-home the fish :D

MyGiants

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2010
North American Region
stores.ebay.com
I raised a pair of FT from 2" to about 10". They were two of my most favorite fishes. Then one day I notice them sucking on my bichirs. As I looked closer all my bichirs all 6 of them there backs looked pale from the FT constantly sucking there slim. I hadn't noticed it before but they must of been doing it a long time. So it was either get rid of all the bichirs or the FT. I got rid of the FT:(

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
My 11 inch one is in with Malawi haps and never bothers anything, just sucks on the glass and will eat NLS. Maybe because the haps are pretty fast he cant get them but for 4 years no promblem. Cool fish imo.

RobE

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2008
Seminole, FL
I had one for about 3 years with peacock bass and a pike. There were no issues for as long as I had him. Was one of my favorite fish also and always kept the tank algae free.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store