UV Sterilizers And blackwater Tanks

FishNCash

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2009
Earth
Hi Souzie, I don't have black water tank but I run uv in a heavy driftwood tank with no negative effect. Uv destroy good and bad elements in the water.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
UV has none effect on black water but it will kill both good and bad bacteria same time, it's not an issue if your tank already have strong BB base. It's a waste of power if your tank don't have floating algae issue (green water) or some parasite like ich...I used UV for few months then turn it off for few months for experience and I have to say it does nothing to my tank, nothing change/effect my tank with UV on or off LOL

souzie

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 13, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Hi Souzie, I don't have black water tank but I run uv in a heavy driftwood tank with no negative effect. Uv destroy good and bad elements in the water.
UV has none effect on black water but it will kill both good and bad bacteria same time, it's not an issue if your tank already have strong BB base. It's a waste of power if your tank don't have floating algae issue (green water) or some parasite like ich...I used UV for few months then turn it off for few months for experience and I have to say it does nothing to my tank, nothing change/effect my tank with UV on or off LOL
Okay...good to know, thanks!

I thought running UV might get rid of the blackwater effect.

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
Yea, I'd guess some of what makes the water dark is algae, no?
I'm really not familiar with Blackwater set ups, I should be, I keep some blackwater fish :/
You may have to teach me something Souzie! :D

souzie

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 13, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Yea, I'd guess some of what makes the water dark is algae, no?
I'm really not familiar with Blackwater set ups, I should be, I keep some blackwater fish :/
You may have to teach me something Souzie! :D
Hi Rocky...do it!!!

Tannins from driftwood, peat, indian almond leaves, alder cones etc. is what makes the water dark.

Well the UV sterilizer is hooked up. But if I notice the water getting clearer, it's coming right off!! :nilly:

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Your UV has filter built in? :D joke!
There are few things that taking out the black water effect are carbon and purigen that's commonly use by hobbyist...My bet is your water contain lot of free floating that UV able to kill it like aglae so your water getting clearer. :D I don't use liquid black water effect (in all my current tanks) but my drift wood leak out the color enough to make my tank water yellowish effect and I'm pretty sure my UV does nothing, zero effect about that or remove the color like in your case.
Edit:
I did use liquid black water effect on my black/silver arowana tank before and I'm still pretty sure UV had zero effect about black water...unless there something new in the product nowaday that I'm not aware of...

souzie

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 13, 2014
Ontario, Canada
LOL...I don't have any algae.

I just meant that if the UV made my water clear instead of dark, I would take it out because that would cancel out the whole blackwater effect. :)

Just did a quick google search and UV has no affect on blackwater but on the other hand, people are saying that blackwater does affect UV. Apparently, it has to work harder at sterilizing the water. :eek:

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
Hey Souzie! :D
Man you got that going fast!! My uv came 2 months ago and I still ain't hooked it up :/
I guess it makes sense a lower wattage bulb may not be as effective in a blackwater set up.
Speaking of lower wattage bulb, I guess that's actually my method of trying to mimic that environment, little to no light on the tank + driftwood :D

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
UV will not effect the color of your water. In uv you want a slow pass through the longer the water stays in the unit the more effect it has. If your water is very dark you will need a higher wattage bulb than you would need for the same amount of clear water but if it's just stained it will work just fine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store