issue with new tank

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Hey all, so I'm trying to get a few quick opinions on my new 310. Quick run down is it was definitely used as a reef tank before I got it, and sat for 2 years empty in a garage before I picked it up. My girlfriend cleaned it pretty well using white vinegar, and it sat empty for about 2 months before I got it set up and filled. I used 150 pounds of quikrete playsand for substrate, filled the tank, hooked up a canister filter to clear the water a bit, and also act as the sole temporary filter until I plumb the sump up. I got it filled last night, and as a test put my bullhead catfish in to see if everything was going alright. He seemed just fine so I dropped in 2 black crappie and 2 yellow perch. NOW the problem. Within 2-5 minutes, the fish were heading to the top and acting extremely lethargic, and within another 5 minutes I had one black crappie on its side at the bottom. I fished them all out and back into their temporary holding container and they were just fine. My question is, am I looking at excess salinity causing the problem or a lack of DO in the water? I had an air stone and also the return from the can filter above the water line to break surface tension. Just looking for opinions before I drain 300 gallons of water into my yard and try again haha. THanks!

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
Hey all, so I'm trying to get a few quick opinions on my new 310. Quick run down is it was definitely used as a reef tank before I got it, and sat for 2 years empty in a garage before I picked it up. My girlfriend cleaned it pretty well using white vinegar, and it sat empty for about 2 months before I got it set up and filled. I used 150 pounds of quikrete playsand for substrate, filled the tank, hooked up a canister filter to clear the water a bit, and also act as the sole temporary filter until I plumb the sump up. I got it filled last night, and as a test put my bullhead catfish in to see if everything was going alright. He seemed just fine so I dropped in 2 black crappie and 2 yellow perch. NOW the problem. Within 2-5 minutes, the fish were heading to the top and acting extremely lethargic, and within another 5 minutes I had one black crappie on its side at the bottom. I fished them all out and back into their temporary holding container and they were just fine. My question is, am I looking at excess salinity causing the problem or a lack of DO in the water? I had an air stone and also the return from the can filter above the water line to break surface tension. Just looking for opinions before I drain 300 gallons of water into my yard and try again haha. THanks!
How well did you clean the sand ?. Play sand is the worst choice for aquarium use. I would advise taking that out and going with Pool filter sand. The grains are larger and heavier.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
How well did you clean the sand ?. Play sand is the worst choice for aquarium use. I would advise taking that out and going with Pool filter sand. The grains are larger and heavier.

Is play sand toxic? Only reason I used it was the darker coloration. I use PFS in all my other tanks, but I wanted this tank to look slightly more natural since its a native tank. I'm impatient so I put the sand in and filled the tank with a python system through the overflows so it didn't stir it up. The water is cloudy but not terrible by any means. I do this with all my sand substrate tanks, though this is the first time I've ever seen an adverse reaction. I'm definitely leaning towards the sand being the issue, I'll just let the tank settle out and try again, maybe the sand in the water is choking the fish out or something.... thank you!

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
was your filter seeded??
yes but the cycle isn't the issue here, the tank was filled 15 minutes prior, there is no ammonia or nitrite issue with this, its either an O2, salinity, or substrate issue

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
Is play sand toxic? Only reason I used it was the darker coloration. I use PFS in all my other tanks, but I wanted this tank to look slightly more natural since its a native tank.
It's not toxic. But it is extremely dirty and the grains of sand are extremely small. Was the tank 100% settled when you added the fish? There's generally a lot of sand dust and debris unless thoroughly washed. Even then it needs time to settle and let the water clear.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree it sounds like a toxicity issue, because of how fast things went down hill.
Salinity seems remote to me, but possible.
Whether something was spilled in the tank and permeated surfaces while it sat or spilled on the play sand.
Or if the play sand was mined in some very high pH area (lime stone quarry).
I would compare pH of tank fish were in, to new tank pH to ascertain whether there may be pH shock.
If it is some toxic chemical chance of finding out what it is would also be remote, unless you have access to a forensic lab.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
A couple of things. Did you add any prime or safe to the water after you filled It? Was the water the same temp and Ph as the holding tank (acclamation)? The tank is not cycled if the filter wasn't seeded but I agree that's not the issues here because in 15 mins the cycle hasn't even started. I would cycle the tank for a couple of weeks using seeded media from an established filter and a couple of "clean" feeder goldfish or similar. Then acclimate any new additions properly adding only one fish at a time over the course of a couple of weeks so your biological filtration (beneficial Bacteria) can catch up to the bio-load of the fish & waste.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I agree it sounds like a toxicity issue, because of how fast things went down hill.
Salinity seems remote to me, but possible.
Whether something was spilled in the tank and permeated surfaces while it sat or spilled on the play sand.
Or if the play sand was mined in some very high pH area (lime stone quarry).
I would compare pH of tank fish were in, to new tank pH to ascertain whether there may be pH shock.
If it is some toxic chemical chance of finding out what it is would also be remote, unless you have access to a forensic lab.
I agree...I'm thinking toxicity in some degree...and I'm really hoping its not in the acrylic of the tank itself...so what do you think....massive water changes, PH test, and maybe guinea pig some feeder fish in the water and see what happens?

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
I'm not ready to go down the toxic road yet without correcting the obvious first.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store