Tanks and solar

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
The discussion came up in another thread. Has anyone explored the idea of setting up solar panels to power your tanks and have it toid into your main breaker incase of snowy/cloudy days ?

Would be cool to have tanks, pool filter and maybe central air offy electric bill...then adding more tanks would be possible.

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
Power storage is what becomes an issue. Maintaining and storing enough batteries to make the system reliable would cost a small fortune.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Power storage is what becomes an issue. Maintaining and storing enough batteries to make the system reliable would cost a small fortune.

They have systems that do not use batteries. A while back i looked into converting the whole house to solar wife didnt want to do it. But it basically ties back into your elec company and unused or extra watts is sold back to them... no batteries.

Im gonna give one of them a call when i get a chance.

Wonder if anyone else has explored this

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
They have systems that do not use batteries. A while back i looked into converting the whole house to solar wife didnt want to do it. But it basically ties back into your elec company and unused or extra watts is sold back to them... no batteries.

I have heard of this when using a wind turbine but not solar.

When it comes to the wind turbine it takes approx 10 years to pay for itself before your actually saving any money. Not to sure about the solar system setup this way.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA

Like I mentioned on the other thread, I would do this solar thing in a heartbeat if I had a southerly facing roof......even if its the front of the house......I would utilize every available surface of that roof with solar panels

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I have heard of this when using a wind turbine but not solar.

When it comes to the wind turbine it takes approx 10 years to pay for itself before your actually saving any money. Not to sure about the solar system setup this way.

Solar is the latest rage now. There are a lot of solar leasing companies now that's looking to use your property to tap into solar energy.......and turning a profit from it of course, and at the same time saving the home owner money. The newer solar panels today are supposedly very, very efficient at capturing that energy. From what I read, wind energy on a residential scale just won't pay off even in the long run.

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
Solar is the latest rage now. There are a lot of solar leasing companies now that's looking to use your property to tap into solar energy.......and turning a profit from it of course, and at the same time saving the home owner money. The newer solar panels today are supposedly very, very efficient at capturing that energy. From what I read, wind energy on a residential scale just won't pay off even in the long run.
I just don't see either methods working. Both methods are extremely expensive to start out. Both methods are DC current so there is quite a bit of efficency loss converting it to AC. When I looked into the wind turbine the rebates per KW was dismal and not worth it. Unless these companies are giving huge rebates it's not something I see that's worth doing.

However like I already stated if you did this 100% private and had a decent amount of power storage. You could probably pull it off and it would pay itself off much sooner.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Yup a family member just converted his house. Most of the payment is offset by the govt rebate. My wife is a nut and didnt want to do it. The extra credits you earn in the summer help offset the electic cost from your main supplier in the winter months. You still pay an electric bill but its minimal. Im waiting for my family members install to be completed and see what the bills look like

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I just don't see either methods working. Both methods are extremely expensive to start out. Both methods are DC current so there is quite a bit of efficency loss converting it to AC. When I looked into the wind turbine the rebates per KW was dismal and not worth it. Unless these companies are giving huge rebates it's not something I see that's worth doing.

However like I already stated if you did this 100% private and had a decent amount of power storage. You could probably pull it off and it would pay itself off much sooner.

What's cool about these leasing company is that they have different leasing options and depending on the option you, as a homeowner, opt for, out of pocket expense is very affordable. Plus, the leasing companies take care of all the maintenances on the system with no cost to the homeowner. The leasing company is essentially using your property to capture solar energy which is converted into electricity, and these company becomes suppliers and "sells" the electricity to the utility companies.

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
What's cool about these leasing company is that they have different leasing options and depending on the option you, as a homeowner, opt for, out of pocket expense is very affordable. Plus, the leasing companies take care of all the maintenances on the system with no cost to the homeowner. The leasing company is essentially using your property to capture solar energy which is converted into electricity, and these company becomes suppliers and "sells" the electricity to the utility companies.
I understand. We have a lot of natural electricity sources in Canada. The wind turbines have been advertised to home owner's here for a decade or more now.

I'm not sure where u guys live but that sounds to good to be true. There's no company here that offers all of that.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store