SPONGE FILTER HELP?????

Mihajlo525

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2015
Canada
Hey guys, I've decided on buying a bunch of sponge filters to boost the biofiltration in my 120. But I found a really good powerhead on amazon that's 50% off so I also wanted to know if I can just take any sponge filter and attach it to the powerhead intake? Or do I have to buy a special sponge filter that has an adapter for a powerhead? And lastly what are the benefits of using a powerhead vs an air pump on a sponge filter? Photos will be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks for you attention!;););)

4D3

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2013
Australia
Most powered outlets are 19mm, the sponge filter you are talking about have a hold through the center.

Why now use 20mm pvc pipe to build a framework to house all the sponges then attack that to the powerhead.

The pvc pipe would need drilled to adore the water through the sponges.

I have done this if you want I can post pics

Sent from my SM-G900F using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Powerheads are not necessary for sponge fliters. If anything its a sort of a disadvatange since you'll need to clean the sponge much, much more often. Powerhead will greatly increase the flow through the sponge, which will pull in more crud floating around in the water, which basically turns the sponge into more of a mechanical media than just primarily a bio media. Without adequate cleaning, the sponge becomes greatly clogged and becomes inefficient at both mechanical and bio filtration.

viejafish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2013
Northeast
+1 Sponge filter is a biological filter and is best driven by air with slow flow. Power head was initially made for undergravel fliter with large surface area to spread out the flow, but UGF is out of favor and today power head is used mainly for water movement. If you want mechanical filter, get an HOB, not sponge filter.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store