PVC sheet for lining a tank

marinerules

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2013
paragould arkansas
I had a short conversation with bill wann ( the guy that has a 20,000 DIY reef tank in his home

I showed him some plans I drew up in sketch up for a future DIY stacked lumber method tank

He said the idea looked good and if it was him he would line it with 1/4 in PVC sheet It's expensive but it may not be anymore expensive than epoxy , sanitred , ect

The tank design I showed him was basically the same stacked lumber method tank as members silent bob and johng have done here except my design has it having a 4 foot tall window instead of a 3 foot tall window

Here is a link with the PVC sheeting
http://www.usplastic.com/mobile/item.aspx?itemid=23412&categoryid=733

There's other links out there to

Also the website has angle pvc
http://www.usplastic.com/mobile/item.aspx?itemid=23195&categoryid=733

I don't know if a tank could be lined with PVC then pvc the angle pvc around the edges with PVC glue or if one could silicone the corners with 5200 sealant or what

Does anyone know how silicones or caulks or polyurethane sealants stick to PVC

I'm just trying to experiment an find other ways of water proofing a tank

If bill wann says it can be done it probably can. The guy seems really intelligent. I'll shoot him another email as well

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

marinerules

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2013
paragould arkansas
Ok I'll look as soon as I post what bill told me just now. I asked about sealing seams and the butt joints and he says quote

"I would use a an extrusion welder or use angled pvc glues ins "

And then he told me "Not all glue is the same , dont use the junk from the hardware store , get some weldon 705 or 711 and use there primer ."

On one of those links there is some 3 inch by 3 inch angle PVC that I could use for bottom corners and side corners

Interesting idea no? I've not seen anyone else mention pvc sheeting

marinerules

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2013
paragould arkansas
Maybe some people can chime in. I'm gonna do some google searching for sealants that will stick to pvc. If 5200 or loctite 530 roof and flashing sealant will stick to acrylic and pond liners maybe it will to pvc as well

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Plastic welder is the way to go imo... fairly easy to use also. Johnptc built a polypropolene 800-1000gal about 10yrs ago and there are alot of "stock" type tubs and tanks constructed in polys/pvc's alone. He fully welded the inside and outside seams and the poly tank itself was supported by a metal cage(its in the articles section in one of his threads)... i used his idea on a 650 gallon i lined with 1/2" poly p. I did not trust my plastic welding skills at the time and also lined my tank with epdm but the plastic welds underneath the liner have held up very well for 6yrs now, better than i ever expected. Poly plastics are oily in nature as there petrolueum based so glues/adhesives do not stick. I think u can get away with something like PL or 3m to make it watertight with a sound outer structure but im not sure for how long. U could prob peel the silicone type glues back off easily so i would still try and lay down some plastic welding at the seams to both strengthen the joint and give u most of the water tight seal even if its not perfect, some 3m over top that for extra assurance cant hurt. The plastic sheeting route isnt all that much cheaper than another method, u could almost use 1/4" acrylic for the same price, bond it with weld on #40 and have a very good product in the end.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Wouldn't silicone seal glass window to PVC and you might be able to use acrylic as a window and use Weldon 40 or similar sealant?

I know from experience that silicone adhere to pvc very poorly, so that's out.
Can anyone chime in on glass to pvc using Weld-on?

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Wouldn't silicone seal glass window to PVC and you might be able to use acrylic as a window and use Weldon 40 or similar sealant?

After the plastic material is prepared with a good sanding...silicone can be used to make a "gasket" type seal. The water pressure does the rest. Not a structural bond by any means but it works. Id still and do use a better grade silicone like rtv, 3m or gold label to get the best adhesion possible.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
I know from experience that silicone adhere to pvc very poorly, so that's out.
Can anyone chime in on glass to pvc using Weld-on?
Silicone is made for glass....weld-on #40 is a 2 part epoxy for plastics, mainly acrylic. Weld-on would not adhere to glass at all. When making a "gasket" type seal for a window on a build adhesion is not really necessary to make it water tight. As said above, the water pressure helps make the bond. You may be able to pull off a said type of silicone from a petro based plastic with ur finger but that small bit of adhesion may be all u need for the window. Have to remember single window builds have different building techniques. Even with a standard fiberglass/epoxy build normal silicone does not stick well to the fiberglass/epoxy but they work due to the water pressure pushing out, smashing the silicone into a gasket making a seal... Same principal. Very plausible to just use a rubber gasket in place of a silicone but then many bolts are required. Both mehods have been done with sucess. Many people have put windows in poly tanks with silicone and bolts even tho the silicone doesnt really stick.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store