minor crack in drilled tank, still safe?

sdgier

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2014
IL
I have a drilled 10 gallon tank. When putting the hose on the attachment connected to the bulkhead, I must have tweaked something because I heard a small dink and noticed a small crack ABOVE my bulkhead. I'm wondering if the tank is still safe to fill with water as the crack is above the bulkhead and will not have water in direct contact with it. I was going to put some silicone on inside and out to be sure, but thought I'd get some feedback before risking it. If this tank side blows out, then I'll have a huge mess as I have 15 tanks on that sump.

Thoughts? Thx for the help folks!

zie2695

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2013
N/A
I think you'll be good to go. 10g tanks repair fairly well.

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I have a crack on a 20 gal I drilled, the crack is also just above the drill hole (one of my my first attempts at drilling, and I went too fast).
I smeared a little GE 1 on the outside, and inside on the crack just to be safe, its been up and running ever since.

sdgier

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2014
IL
k, good to know. I'll fill er up and see how it goes. If it fails, I'll post.

fishbum

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2007
Antarctica
Isn't Petco having their $1 a gallon sale? If they are, and even if they aren't ,I'd just get a new tank.

Not to knock your set up too much, but I've never seen the point in a 10 gallon sump. Even on small display tanks, I've never gone smaller than a 20 long.

You have 15 tanks on a 10 gallon sump?

sdgier

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2014
IL
Just a fup on this if anyone is reading. The tank has been filled since this thread with no problems. I put some sealant on inside and outside and no problems thus far.

and fishbum, the 10 gal was one of the 15 in a sump system. the sump is much larger than 10 gallons. ; ) After I re-read my original thread, it did sound like I was running a 10 gal sump. nice catch.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store