Water quality never been what i expected. Help !!! Plz !!

Pataphysicist

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2014
Boynton Beach
So here is my setup :

72x30x24 - 220 Gallon Glass Tank.

Filtration - Eheim 2262 Canister
Media - Biohome , Coarse Pad , Eheim Substrate Pro , Seachem Matrix , Chemi Pure Elite , Filter Floss ( Everything on that order )

Stock :

- 12" Golden Clown Knife
- 12" Silver Arowana
- 18" Spotted Gar ( Female and a Male )
- 12" Saddled Bichir
- 8-9" Red Tail Gourami

I had the tank running for about 6 months and i have never been able to look through the side and be crystal clear. It always seems to be a bit cloudy, i think it might be my fault or maybe i just need more filtration. Ill tell you guys a few steps i follow for water changes, feeding , lights , etc. Ill let you guys guide me into doing the right thing.

Water Changes : I do 25-30 % Water Change weekly, I siphon water right into the sink which is located right next to my tank ( Love it ) . The same equipment i use to siphon water out allows me to put water back into the tank straight from the faucet. While fresh water is being poured back into the tank i add prime ( 300 Gallon ) Dose ( 6 cap fulls ). Now this is not treated water before it goes into the tank so sometimes i do notice my gars shaking their heads for a second or two. Signs of Chlorine burning their gills. I know is not the right way to do it, i just do it because i don't know any other way. I hope you guys can help me on this.

Feedings : I feed once a day, when i wake up at 4am to go to work. My arowana is a bit picky so i feed her 4-6 chunks of tilapia + silver sides combination. My gars eat w/e the arowana leaves behind when she gets full. Now the rest of my guys love Massivore delite and Jumbo Carnisticks/ Carnivore Pellets . I only put an amount they can literally eat within 30 seconds, i feed to satisfy not to overfeed them.

Lights : Lights are on only when i feed in the morning for 5 minutes and maybe 2 hours at night when i get home so i can enjoy looking at them. That means lights are off literally all day long.

So my question arises, what am i doing wrong that i cant achieve my crystal clear water :( ? More Filtration? Less Feedings? Lights? Or am i just fixated on those crazy crystal clear water in tanks we see on youtube/ Internet :cry: . I give up !. Also i forgot to mention my glass does get slimy kinda fast, probably normal. Don't know. Here is a few shots of the tank and sides so you guys can get a visual of what am talking about. Thank you guys

IMG_20150315_152406109.jpg

IMG_20150404_165056629.jpg

IMG_20150404_165104648_HDR.jpg

IMG_20150404_165126746.jpg

IMG_20150404_165151274.jpg

IMG_20150404_165210721.jpg

IMG_20150404_165227624.jpg

IMG_20150404_165232489.jpg

IMG_20150404_165351776_HDR.jpg

IMG_20150404_170606691.jpg

IMG_20150404_170656847.jpg

IMG_20150404_170738577.jpg

IMG_20150404_170826739.jpg

IMG_20150404_170835265.jpg

catfishacr

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Iowa City, IA
Awesome tank and fish! Before anyone can help, everyone will want to know your Water Parameters? (Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, etc....) If your water parameters are good. I would add some more filtration (mechanical and bio) and make plans if possible to upgrade your tank. You have some large fish that will need bigger homes.

Pataphysicist

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2014
Boynton Beach
Awesome tank and fish! Before anyone can help, everyone will want to know your Water Parameters? (Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, etc....) If your water parameters are good. I would add some more filtration (mechanical and bio) and make plans if possible to upgrade your tank. You have some large fish that will need bigger homes.
Thats another thing, i don't even test my water. I know i know, don't nail me to a stake because of it. Like i said, i followed a certain way of doing things. Worked so far, never had a reason to change it. Doesn't mean is the right way to do it, just saying is the way ive been doing it. Ty on the fish, its the stock ive always wanted and so far is completed. Hoping it would take a year at least before i think of rehoming them. Plans for the future are a 10 L x 5 W x 4 H Acrylic . For now they're doing fine.

catfishacr

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Iowa City, IA
I"ll try not to nail ya to a stake :) but you really should be testing your water. Like your title says; your having water quality issues. Testing water should be the first thing you do before trying anything to get rid of the cloudy water.Its hard to offer advice on water cloudiness without water parameters. Cloudy water could easily be some type of bacteria bloom related to a cycle or mini cycle. I wont keep going on but your fish are almost irreplaceable. Why ever risk losing them to ammonia or nitrite?? I would start testing defiantly before getting and having to cycle a 10'x5'x4' tank. If your not going to test water, Id for sure add some more filtration more will be better.:)

Edit: With your tank being relatively new, how did you cycle your tank and how did you gauge when it was cycled? If its wasn't cycled when you introduced fish that's probably the reason for the cloudy water to linger.

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
Sounds like you need better mechanical. You also may have sediment in your tap water.

I run 100 micron socks and 5 micron on my drips

Dirty glass means small dirt particles in water column

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

nossalucard

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2015
North Carolina
FIRST, you tank is BEAUTIFUL, and freaking AWESOME!!!

Secondly:

I don't normally recommend this but I say CARBON. I use 2 bags of purigen, and do 50% on my 65 with only 2 fish, but all that has given me the TRUE "crystal clear" water are 3 things:

1:SAFEST -Aquaclear Quick filter connected to Powerhead(near micron polishing) or HOT Magnum with micron cartridge.

2:Occasional Carbon Use for a week or so- (Which I generally despise using due to cost- but dang sometimes gotta swallow my pride)

3: LAST and possibly dangerous (almost killed my RD last time I used it, but produced ULTRA-ULTRA CLEAR WATER)...... Acurel F

The problem with the Acurel F is I think it changes PH or either burns fishes gills, affecting large fish apparently more than smaller fish(Convict never had as bad a reaction, but was breathing harder).

I used to SWEAR by it, and I ASSURE you it will clear your water as long as you have a really good medium for mechanical filtration (best is filter floss). I've never had such problems with it until this particular RD though, so maybe he's just sensitive.

Oh yeah, it will clog your filters QUICKLY as that's it doing it's job as a Flocculent. Darn, I wish I still trusted it. I tried it at half dose (1 drp per gallon)and it still worked, but RD still had bad reaction). Use at your own risk if you just GOTTA HAVE THAT SUPER CLEAR water, but don't say you weren't warned. I have a brand new bottle too, but won't use it on any tank this RD is in ever again... Maybe they changed the formula, or that last bottle I had was bad????

With the nice stock you have, don't take chances, go for the mechanical (HOT MAGNUM with micron cartridge) and add carbon to Eheim first!

HTH!

raubiy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2015
♛ Slovenija ♛
Realy strong pump with bottle on bottom filled with filter floss. :D
The King Of Diy Method.
I use Eheim Compact + 1102 5000 L/H Flow. I change Filter floss every day or every other day.
You will be amazed how this stuff make pure water ;)
Try
+ You can always buy more eheim 2262 + Uv combo Plumed together.

Pataphysicist

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2014
Boynton Beach
I"ll try not to nail ya to a stake :) but you really should be testing your water. Like your title says; your having water quality issues. Testing water should be the first thing you do before trying anything to get rid of the cloudy water.Its hard to offer advice on water cloudiness without water parameters. Cloudy water could easily be some type of bacteria bloom related to a cycle or mini cycle. I wont keep going on but your fish are almost irreplaceable. Why ever risk losing them to ammonia or nitrite?? I would start testing defiantly before getting and having to cycle a 10'x5'x4' tank. If your not going to test water, Id for sure add some more filtration more will be better.:)

Edit: With your tank being relatively new, how did you cycle your tank and how did you gauge when it was cycled? If its wasn't cycled when you introduced fish that's probably the reason for the cloudy water to linger.
You're right about i should be testing my water, and after seeing a few comments i think the problem is leaning towards me doing water changes the wrong way. My tank is a BB tank, which i think everytime i do 25-30% water changes am putting the tank into a cycle/ bacteria bloom all over again. Maybe do to water being high in Chlorine/Chloramine ? Should i invest in a drip system? found a nice set for a decent price by the Filter guys RO drip system.

Pataphysicist

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2014
Boynton Beach
Realy strong pump with bottle on bottom filled with filter floss. :D
The King Of Diy Method.
I use Eheim Compact + 1102 5000 L/H Flow. I change Filter floss every day or every other day.
You will be amazed how this stuff make pure water ;)
Try
+ You can always buy more eheim 2262 + Uv combo Plumed together.

I tried the floss with powerhead thing in the past and frankly i don't have the time to be changing floss daily, my wife already raising her eye brows as it is with the time i spend on my hobby ^^.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store