Africans with peacocks .. emergency!!

fishmania97

Feeder Fish
Apr 4, 2015
lithia florida
I have a tank with African cichlids and I came home with a peacock so I just put him in with the Africans By any chance would a African cichlid be able to be in the same tank as a peacock
Cichlid ??

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
A peacock what? If you are referring to an Aulonocara, it is an African cichlid. Without knowing more about your tank size, dimensions and current species & how many, it's too difficult a question to answer.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Unless peacock means peacock bass, then the question might be, at what point will the peacock bass eat all the Africans?
But since there are probably about 1000 species of African cichlids, what are meant by Africans?

f22

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2012
I assume you have a mixed Mbuna tank. Adding an aulonacara is for sure a risk. Typically when keeping peacocks with zebras or pseudos they should be the first fish in the tank giving them time to settle in. It's pretty likely that your new addition will get picked on. Another suggestion when stocking an African tank is to add several fish together. This does a nice job of displacing some aggression ensuring that one fish doesn't take the brunt of the beating.

But please, give us some more info, everything I wrote is just speculation.

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
Peacocks with mbuna are a bad mix, the peacocks will end up beat up. If its mbuna you are talking about they (mbuna) are just too aggressive.

MG John

Feeder Fish
Oct 27, 2018
Develop your tank to either mbuna or peacocks but not both. A big tank for a various peacocks really gives a spectacular view. Most peacocks are much less aggressive and will not dig and rearrange your tank like mbuna will

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Develop your tank to either mbuna or peacocks but not both. A big tank for a various peacocks really gives a spectacular view. Most peacocks are much less aggressive and will not dig and rearrange your tank like mbuna will

Welcome aboard

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
While you are on this learning curve, you might also want to research the term quarantine tank. Good luck.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store