Picked Up Two 180s Today, Have Some Questions and Looking For Suggestions

Aidan23

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2015
Ohio
Hey everyone, I just bought two 180g tanks off Craigslist, and spent 12 hours picking them up, loading, and traveling. So with these new tanks, some new questions arose.

I'm new to these "big" tanks. I own a 75g with an Oscar, sev, and gar. I'm not new to the hobby, just large tanks.

First off, here's what I got:
1 Wet/Dry filter
1 Pump
1 Heater
3 Penguin 400 filters
2 180 gallon aquariums with a steel stand
A bunch of rocks, clay structure, plants, and driftwood
Glass lids
Lights

Did I make out ok? I paid $750 for all of it.

Sadly I couldn't haul the second tank home, so I'm swinging by Wendsday on my way back from Kentucky.

Next, stock. These are my ideas, overstocked? Incompatible? Let me know.

First tank.
Florida Gar
Lima shovelnose
Fire Eel
Senegal Bichir
Black ghost Knife
(I was looking for a top-level swimming, but couldn't find any that would work well, ideas?)

Second:
Orange Tiger Oscar
Red shoulder severum
Uaru Cichlid
Leporinus
Red spot severum(hopefully)

Finally, tank equipment. I'm new to the wet/dry filter, so if you could explain that or direct me to a site that can, please do. Also, what air pump would you recommend for tanks this size? I am in need of one.

I'll attach some mediocre images if you want to see some of it.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
In regards to the first tank I think a Senegal might become a snack. They are too small. May want to consider lap or endli etc etc. Basically a larger poly.

PT Chalceus are great top dwellers but are slow to grow and may get picked off by the gar. May want to consider an odoe pike.

Just IMO.

Aidan23

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2015
Ohio
In regards to the first tank I think a Senegal might become a snack. They are too small. May want to consider lap or endli etc etc. Basically a larger poly.

PT Chalceus are great top dwellers but are slow to grow and may get picked off by the gar. May want to consider an odoe pike.

Just IMO.

Alright, thanks for the advice.

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
pink tailed chalceus would work for a top level fish, although not active they look great when they get big.
Don't get that big though, biggest I've got one was 2.5 years old and was around 7". agree they are beautiful though

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Is that some type of home made cross brace on the top of the tank?....It doesn't sound like too bad of a deal...I paid almost a stack for my brand new 180 with stand,glass tops and two light strips but that was a few years ago.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store