Moving house-how long will my canister survive

4D3

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2013
Australia
I'm moving house on Tuesday, I have a seeded sponge and a moving bed that are going in my fish transporters.

How long would my canister bacteria last without flow?

I'm looking at out being off for 6 hours, it will be full of water when I transport it, it will be the last thing switched off before I move.

Any advice?

Sent from my SM-G900F using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

nossalucard

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2015
North Carolina
Umm, I plan a move in a few months as well, but not sure I'd trust it after that many hours. 2 or 3hours maybe but 6, I dunno.

I'm merely moving 5 miles though, so I'm lucking out on that, 30 minutes to an hour TOPS. I will admit however that I have been fishless ammonia cycling 4 (out of the 8 I bought)ATI sponge filters with HEAVY doses of janitors ammonia(10 drops every 3 days in 5 gallon buckets) to make/keep them VERY bio-active and cycled. I've been cycling them in the 5 gallon buckets so I don't waste so much water when I do water changes on them for the SUPER HIGH nitrates they generate. I figure they will make GREAT insurance in case my canister crashes, plus I will be setting up 6 more tanks after the move.

On another topic(not to hijack), does anone know if SUPER HIGH nitrates can KILL/retard the growth of beneficial bacteria, and if so, at what level?

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Not sure hopefully someone else will chime in but as a back up you could keep a few bottles of safestart on hand

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jwh

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2015
south ****holia
You should be fine for 6 hours, i have had my canister off for 16 hours once with no ill effects. I would keep them wet, but not fully submerged, in this way there will be oxygen available to the bacteria

4D3

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2013
Australia
You should be fine for 6 hours, i have had my canister off for 16 hours once with no ill effects. I would keep them wet, but not fully submerged, in this way there will be oxygen available to the bacteria
My plan was to remove the canister full, then drain about 4l out of the 18l total then leave the top taps open for air

Sent from my SM-G900F using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

bradleyagregg

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2010
pittsburgh
Keep it wet and you should be fine. I just moved, I put all my media from various filters in a rubber maid bin, hooked up the sponge filters to a pump for oxygenation and some flow. It might take a few days/weeks for the bacteria to get back to 100% so feed light for a little while.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
I just have an power outage recently cause maintenance of electrical company for 8 hours during my works day time and seem no effect to my BB colony.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
You're fine for 6 hours. Keep it wet and relatively warm and you'll be fine.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
A dirty canister well die much faster. Clean it a week before you leave and it should be okay. Still, the first few gallons after you hook it back up should no go into your tank...
Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

strollo22

Siamese Tiger
MFK Member
May 21, 2012
Datnoid Island
Clean the filter a week before you leave and add a teaspoon of ammonia and seal the canister. Hook it up with no fish and let it run until all ammonia is out of the water, 80-90% water change then add fish

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store