How Can I Raise & Lower Water Level In A Plumbed Tank

need2ball

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
If I wanted to set up a tank where I can easily raise and lower the water level in the tank while using a wet/dry or sump filtration system, how could I accomplish this?

I have figured out two ways so far:
1) Drill multiple holes vertically and install ball valves to regulate which hole the water will drain out of.
2) Install a stand pipe that I can rotate downwards to affect where the water level is, the top of the standpipe will dictate the water level.

If I had to choose one of these I would choose option #1 but wanted to see if there were any other options before making my tanks look like swiss cheese.

Thanks!

qguy

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
Vancouver. Canada
I would add a pvc connector at the top of the drain and would have several cut pieces of pvc to add on top to increase or decrease the level of the water.

need2ball

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
Thanks for the reply but if I was going to do it this way I think it'd be easier to go with my option number 2.

Any other ideas?

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Did you mean raise or lower the water level in your tank itself? It's not clear where you are meaning to drill holes in your options.

need2ball

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
Yes I mean raise and lower water level in the tank itself.

The holes can be drilled anywhere vertically along the tank wall so that you can choose which hole to have the water drain out from by opening and closing a ball valve. Depending on which hole you have open will dictate your water level.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store