Greetings and salutations from Cloverdale California!

GlennDalton

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2015
Cloverdale
www.facebook.com
Hello all,

My name is Glenn, I have a 65 gallon tank with a Fluval FX6, an UGF powered by two Hagen 802 powerheads and two Eclipse #2 hoods with bio-wheels and purigen bags under their filter pads. I'm currently making repairs on an old 100 gallon tank since I'm seriously overstocked. Thank goodness for youtube! Although I have plenty of bio-filtration I still have to do a full water change at least once a week as the nitrates reach upwards of 30 PPM. I have several types of goldfish including 4 yellow wakin I plan to breed. I'm interested in the colors yellow and black. I would like to migrate those colors to other varieties of goldfish. I am also interested in crossing goldfish with different types of carp. Joseph Smartt hypothesized that by breeding the modern day goldfish to it's progenitors it might give rise to the expression of new color variants never seen before. It could increase there size, longevity and hardiness and possibly result in hybrid gigantism. I have several extremely large tanks and numerous 20 gallon tanks donated by the local North Bay herpetological Society. After finishing Joseph Smartt's book on goldfish genetics I'm left with even more questions. Do I need to change the basic selective breeding methods since goldfish are tetraploids? Is yellow an actual gene or is it a gene or allele suppressing the red pigment in an orange fish leaving only the yellow? Are there more than one type of yellow expression? Will the color change as the fish gets older like it does in black moors loosing their melanin leaving you with a bronze fish? I have a million questions on breeding and look forward to chatting with everyone and hearing your opinions.
I use the 20 gallon tanks for re-homeing goldfish. I put a HOB filter on and place the tanks in local animal shelters and provide a list of goldfish forums and literature on the space needed for goldfish and the bacterial cycle. Many of the goldfish are rescued around July when the horses are moved out of the drying up pasture and the water troughs are turned off and the goldfish left behind in an overheated evaporating tub. I started rescuing these goldfish in the 26 acres behind my house in Cotati between Helman Lane and 116 in 1987. The horse owners would put a feeder fish into the horse trough to eat the algae but when the grass started to dry up the horse owners would move their horse out of the pasture, turn off the water trough and leave the fish to die. I've found similar situations here in Cloverdale. The bulk of the others come from owner turn-in's because their fish has become sick from improper care or an unready owner who just won it at the county fair. I use the email GoldfishRescue@yahoo.com. I've recently had several land owners along Trenton road who have "cow tanks" on their property offer their ponds for the release of unwanted goldfish. Many people arn't interested in a goldfish with permanent damage to it's fins so some of them just don't move. I'm curently debating on weather or not releasing a domesticated goldfish into an outdoor pond is humane. Without netting they could become a quick snack for a heron or egret. If anyone is local and interested in adopting a previously ill-treated goldfish feel free to drop me a line at the email above. I'm really excited to be here with you guys and can't wait to start chatting!

Glenn
tank.jpgyellow.jpgyellow2.jpgyellow1.jpgyellow3.jpgyellow4.jpg

tank.jpg

yellow4.jpg

yellow2.jpg

yellow3.jpg

yellow1.jpg

yellow.jpg

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
welcome to mfk... please check out the goldies forum here.. there will be some interested members.......good luck with your goal...beautiful goldies...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store