How To Protect Against A Clogged Drain Pipe In Multi Tank System

need2ball

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
When plumbing multiple tanks together, what happens if one of the tanks drain gets clogged?
How are you supposed to protect your tank from overflowing with water until the pump runs dry if this were to happen?

lardieleftover

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2014
san diego
Secondary overflow connecting to normal one, just above desire water level maybe. Just have it covered in mesh or something so fish don't jump down it

need2ball

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
Secondary overflow connecting to normal one, just above desire water level maybe. Just have it covered in mesh or something so fish don't jump down it
This is also something I was thinking about but that means drilling another hole and I don't see this hole drilled into other systems so I was wondering how most people do it or if they just let it fly and hope it doesn't happen.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I add a Tee to overflows (this way an extra hole can be avoided), and another up turned elbow with a little PVC higher than the normal water level is attached, so if one opening gets plugged, the other will take up the extra water. Like the one below.

This is great insurance. Take the one below, it is 1/5"PVC and normally flowing like this.

A few mornings ago, I walked in and found this.

need2ball

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
Great idea... this looks like a good and easy method.

Anyone else have another way of handling this problem?

henria86

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2009
Big City...
i would over size the returns to reduce the chances of clogging greatly like to 1.5 or have 2 more returns

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
I agree with 1.5 to 2". I have a few smaller ones, and need to check them minimum daily, and brush them out regularly.
Here's a better shot of a Teed off small PVC double overflow, left is flowing, right is above the water line..

tommyfc3s

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2013
New Jersey
now i'm just playing devil's advocate here but what happens should you get a clog after the t section to the point where neither will allow flow?

monkeybike

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2015
At the store i worked at we ran a 1" i.d stand pipe with a 2" i.d sleeve over it with slots cut at bottom and top. That way it could flow water up through between the 2 pipes. Just cut the outer one an inch or so taller.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
If you get a clog after the Tee, you're screwed. This is why I always suggest larger PVC, such as 1.5"-2", less chance a clog not being washed down by normal flow.
now i'm just playing devil's advocate here but what happens should you get a clog after the t section to the point where neither will allow flow?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store