Confessions of a Monster Fish Keeper

vincentwugwg

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2013
New York Mets
'A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away....' I was, myself just a pup when I first laid eyes upon my first 'fighting fish' or betta splendens. I was 3 years old then but I still have a clear picture of the fish I had begged my grandmother to buy for me. After she agreed to buy the fish for me... my memory fails me here as this is all I can recall. Wish my grandmother was still alive today so I can ask her for more details but she has passed on decades ago.

My interests in fish keeping started at a very young age. Growing up in an area where there were three pet/fish stores within walking distance helped nurtured me into a MFK today. In the early to mid 80's there was no access to the internet so most of the knowledge I gained as a child was from reading all the 'fish books' that were for sale at the three different pet stores. The owners all knew me well and granted me access to the fish books because I would help them with their customers when it got busy for them for free.

By the time I was 15 years old, my parents opened up my first fish store! Although it was a partnership with my older cousin and his wife, the store was opened because of me. This partnership lasted two and a half years. College in a different coast made running a store very taxing. Fast forward a few years and now I'm 21, the stock market has been kind to me and I build my fish Monster tank. 8ftx4ftx3ft high! So this tank is sitting on the 2nd floor of my sister's house! This was in 1993 and because it was on the 2nd floor, I was able to do a drip system with an overflow that went right into the drain downstairs. Back then, getting 80 gallons a day on a chalk RO filter was high-tech, haha..... sorry my time for today is up. I will continue this story of mine when time permits... hopefully later on today and I will add pictures as well. Thanks for reading so far :)

vincentwugwg

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2013
New York Mets
I had the 750 gallon tank running for another 3 years.. then bad times/bad investments forced me to give up that setup:(. One year later, I rebounded and decided to take my obsession to the next level and ended up buying a turn key fish store(except it wasn't so turnkey haha). This is where I met a few fellow MFKers. My hobby became my job and I lost interest in fish keeping. That was 18 years ago. So after a 17 year hiatus from the hobby, I'm back with a vengeance!

Roughly one year ago... I got back into this amazing hobby! Bought my first fish from Wes. 12 inch Aimara! Now the Aimara is well over 22 inches! I started with a 150 gallon 4x2x30inch tank and now.. well let's just say it's an all out addiction. I have tanks in 3 different states, both in the West Coast and East Coast. (thanks again W, for implanting this dream in my head) Someday.. my dream is to able to display my collection for the public to see and enjoy.

vincentwugwg

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2013
New York Mets
Great story!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Thanks! I will post more pics in the next few days :)

Just awesome...love the story and passion...this facility looks incredible :)
Thank you for your kind words.. I've always lived by these words.... if you want it bad enough, go get it! :headbang2

I feel like I'm in heaven

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
:) I hope some of my fish feel the same way.. I know it's nothing when compared to nature but at least my fish don't have to deal with predators.

Dominic Pham

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2015
United States
A true inspiration! Waiting to hear more of your story and see more pics :)

Sent from my LG-D415 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store