Will a Delhezi get big enough?

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
Will a Delhezi get big enough to live long term in a 700g tank with an Ornate, small species of Pbass, Snook, and Oscars? I don't think I am doing anything bigger or more predatory than that, though I have also considered an arowana and/or a clown/royal knife. I really like Dels, but I am afraid it won't get bigger than 9in, and that may not be big enough to live in the tank I'm planning...

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
It should be fine. However depending on how you get the delhezi would depend on when it goes in. If you plan on growing it out then obviously keep it in a smaller tank, but if you already have any of the other fish you said, you might want to try and find a del that is already around the 7" or larger so you just have to "beef it up." Another thing to think about would be feeding them. First you have to make sure they get the food and second make sure they find it in time in such a large tank, before any of the other fish get the left overs before the polys do.

framcosco

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2010
los angeles, ca
Will a Delhezi get big enough to live long term in a 700g tank with an Ornate, small species of Pbass, Snook, and Oscars? I don't think I am doing anything bigger or more predatory than that, though I have also considered an arowana and/or a clown/royal knife. I really like Dels, but I am afraid it won't get bigger than 9in, and that may not be big enough to live in the tank I'm planning...
I do not recommend it... too small of a species..... get yourself a large bichir for that tank....the del will look like a feeder in that tank..... especially with pbass, clown knife, snook and Oscars.....

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
I do not recommend it... too small of a species..... get yourself a large bichir for that tank....the del will look like a feeder in that tank..... especially with pbass, clown knife, snook and Oscars.....
+1 like I said you should be able to get by with a delhezi, but IMO you should use the space more efficiently and get some larger species.

tommyfc3s

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2013
New Jersey
I'd say go for an endlicheri if you like the delhezis colors and patterning. The only upper jaws that would really work in a tank like that are ornates and weeksii in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Askaleymanfish

Aimara
MFK Member
May 15, 2014
Danville Virginia
+1 here as well man check out laps, endlis, ansorgiis, pbbs..... IMO I would never mix dels with the big boy pbass and what not but I have seen some beast dels tho so I mean it is possible but rare that they will coexist well for life .... If u want a del just get a 75 gal an set it up for a del

Askaleymanfish

Aimara
MFK Member
May 15, 2014
Danville Virginia
I'd say go for an endlicheri if you like the delhezis colors and patterning. The only upper jaws that would really work in a tank like that are ornates and weeksii in my opinion.

Wouldn't go weeksii unless u can find one already 18" lol or u will be a old man waitin on it to hit that mark lol

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
I am considering getting an Endli... I just like the look of Upper jawed bichirs better, and I love the Del pattern... I do already have an Ornate. To further explain I don't have any of the predatory fish yet, except the Os, who are still babies with the largest being 5in. I plan to wait another 6mo-1yr to get the Pbass, or possibly the Arowana/clown knife. I figure even fully grown Os won't bother anything much over 6in, so I will give all my cichlids and slower growing monsters time to put some size on, and then grow out the fish that end up bigger to 6in plus before introducing them to the 700g.

Now I am wondering if given the smaller adult size I could put a Del in one of my other tanks... How big of fish will they go after? Would one be ok with Ropes, Elephant nose fish, baby whales, Geos, African knife, bronze corys and eels?

Askaleymanfish

Aimara
MFK Member
May 15, 2014
Danville Virginia
I am considering getting an Endli... I just like the look of Upper jawed bichirs better, and I love the Del pattern... I do already have an Ornate. To further explain I don't have any of the predatory fish yet, except the Os, who are still babies with the largest being 5in. I plan to wait another 6mo-1yr to get the Pbass, or possibly the Arowana/clown knife. I figure even fully grown Os won't bother anything much over 6in, so I will give all my cichlids and slower growing monsters time to put some size on, and then grow out the fish that end up bigger to 6in plus before introducing them to the 700g.

Now I am wondering if given the smaller adult size I could put a Del in one of my other tanks... How big of fish will they go after? Would one be ok with Ropes, Elephant nose fish, baby whales, Geos, African knife, bronze corys and eels?
They be fine with them man I had a rope wit my 17" beast

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store