Maybe I've Been Doing Things Wrong?

DeathStalker

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2015
United States
Ok, so I have a Fluval FX5 and on an average monthly basis, I have to tear the unit down, rinse all the filter pads, and rinse out debris from the bottom of the unit. On average, this takes about 3 hours. A royal pain :( Now my tank, a 90gal tall, has a lot of large fish in it (I would not consider it "overstocked"), but I get a lot of elevated phosphate levels, which leads to a lot of algae growth, a green water tinge, and a lot of detritus floating. My chemical levels are pretty much always good, and I use Prime regularly.

Here's my question - if I don't thoroughly rinse out the filters each month, they get clogged, but I'm reading that I *shouldn't* be rinsing/cleaning the filter because I'm killing the bacteria. Now how can you have both clean, effective filters, AND healthy bacteria?

I've considered looking at a Fluval G6 simply because of the "apparent" ease of cleaning - even if I have to pop out the mechanical filter and rinse it each day, that's better than the 3hr block each month.

Thanks! :)

(Also, what fish are good for eating the algae that grows on the artificial plants?)

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
Ok, so I have a Fluval FX5 and on an average monthly basis, I have to tear the unit down, rinse all the filter pads, and rinse out debris from the bottom of the unit. On average, this takes about 3 hours. A royal pain :( Now my tank, a 90gal tall, has a lot of large fish in it (I would not consider it "overstocked"), but I get a lot of elevated phosphate levels, which leads to a lot of algae growth, a green water tinge, and a lot of detritus floating. My chemical levels are pretty much always good, and I use Prime regularly.

Here's my question - if I don't thoroughly rinse out the filters each month, they get clogged, but I'm reading that I *shouldn't* be rinsing/cleaning the filter because I'm killing the bacteria. Now how can you have both clean, effective filters, AND healthy bacteria?

I've considered looking at a Fluval G6 simply because of the "apparent" ease of cleaning - even if I have to pop out the mechanical filter and rinse it each day, that's better than the 3hr block each month.

Thanks! :)

(Also, what fish are good for eating the algae that grows on the artificial plants?)
What are you doing with the filter that can take 3 hours ? I can open and clean an fx5 in about 15 minutes while my tank drains.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

need2ball

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
3 hrs definitely seems waaaaaay too long. I've never had an FX5, I chose the Eheim Pro III instead but that is definitely a long time to be spending cleaning your filter.

Also, you clean the filter with tank water, not tap water to keep your beneficial bacteria alive.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Does it really take you three hours to break down and clean out your FX5?....wow.There is some beneficial bacteria that live inside of the unit so cleaning it does kill them off.My FX is not intended as my main biological filter,I have my wet/dry system for that.That is a huge tank you have and you must be running some other filtration besides the Fluval?

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
My sunsuns take like 10 mins a piece, but I don't have a bunch of sponges to rinse and wring out. I use disposable poly floss. The bio media is in filter bags and each gets a good rinse under the tap. I have 2 canisters on each tank so I dont worry about using tap water. It's not a big deal.

My fluval 406's take a little longer due to rinsing the sponges. Maybe 15 mins each tops.

I just drag the canister in the bathtub and blast the thing

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

DeathStalker

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2015
United States
What takes forever is the cleaning of each of the 6 sponges - rinsing them till they run clean. I only re-use the disc filters (blue) once, so it's rinsing them till they're clean as well. I also rinse off the media to get rid of all the accumulated loose algae.

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
What takes forever is the cleaning of each of the 6 sponges - rinsing them till they run clean. I only re-use the disc filters (blue) once, so it's rinsing them till they're clean as well. I also rinse off the media to get rid of all the accumulated loose algae.
It shouldn't take long to ring out one of those sponges. I always have excess bio media in the system so I always clean the sponges under hot tap water. It takes a minute or 2 per sponge.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Blast all that stuff with a garden hose...at least thats what I used before the dog destroyed it.....Is that Fx5 the only filter on that tank?

DeathStalker

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2015
United States
Yes, the FX5 is all I have. I always use cold to lukewarm water to rinse the sponges. Cleaning now as we speak, and I do notice a very "swampy" smell in the canister itself. At what point should sponges be replaced? The unit is about 4yrs old (maybe a little more). The sponges have taken on a greenish tinge.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
My sponges are now a reddish color and I know that smell you are referring to,my guess it is the odor of gases and broken down waste matter.I think the sponges are good as long as they are still firm.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store