Layer Of Black Under Gravel?

DeathStalker

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2015
United States
I have noticed a gradual increase in a layer of black under my medium-sized gravel (yeah, I regret not going with sand). Is this normal? Should it be left alone? Should I stir up the gravel and get it filtered out?

Thanks!

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Thats probably the resulting sludge from broken down waste matter that makes its way through the gravel.Get yourself a good gravel vac and syphon the gravel when you do water changes.

DeathStalker

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2015
United States
The tank is not in an area where a gravel vac would be practical :( (And I used to use one that I connected to the full force of an exterior hose faucet) Also, due to the rock formations I have in the tank, it would be problematical to get a siphon (usually 1.5"-2" in diameter) in. :( Any alternatives? Maybe if I stirred it up and put the filter intake nearby?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I'm against stirring because of course it fouls up the water and the filter will not suck in all of the stuff leaving the bulk of it to settle all over everything like volcanic ash.You will also release a funky odor from the trapped gases.I would rather use a syphon with a length of hose and bucket and just stay clear of the rockwork.

DeathStalker

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2015
United States
Are there any flexible, wand-like siphons out there? My only other option would be to just leave it as-is, and do something when I have to do something with all the rocks (which usually involves moving the fish out of the tank itself).

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
There may be but I dont recall seeing any flexible syphons.I have seen different lengths though,if that helps any.

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
This sounds like it would add to your filter problem as well. Debris under the gravel are rotting causing ammonia. Then nitrite then nitrate. High nitrate is why your seeing a lot of algae. I have way more lighting then you do and my tank sees a good 8 hours of natural sunlight. I'm also quite heavier stocked then you.

I'm betting that your due for a big cleanup. Once there is so much waste accumulated in the system the water change becomes like a small bandaid.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store