Just rescued baby map turtle, in need of advice.

TankDempsey

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2012
Third rock from the sun
Here is the temporary habitat I set up for him. He is already 100% more active than before! Also got him to eat some blood worms and will try some night crawler chunks when I can get some. I'm also gonna get a uva/uvb heat lamp and once he has an aquarium I'm gonna have the filter and such set up

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Vicious_Fish

Here fishy fishy fishy...
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2007
South Central...
Increasing the water temp should really help to perk him up. You'll want something in the high 70's. Buy him a quality turtle pellet as well.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Map turtles are very cool. Nice job.

TankDempsey

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2012
Third rock from the sun
Map turtles are very cool. Nice job.
Thanks! I'm hoping to do him some good.

Currently keeping the temp in my room in the upper 70's and I'm already noticing more activity. Space heater is doing wonders, and I'm also trying to get him to eat some night crawlers but I think he might be too small still, but he does eat blood worms. Hoping to some day have my 55 as a home for him (hopefully is a he).

One last question. My teacher wanted to return him to the river, but to me he seemed too weak. If I got him strong again, could I potentially release him? I know it's not good to release captive animals, but I haven't had him in contact with my aquariums or anything like that. I'd only look into releasing if I couldn't use my 55 gallon for him.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
You can increase the temp of basking area to between 85-100F by use a heat lamp but water temp should remain cool, lower 70's to higher 60's. Don't forget about UVB lighting. As far as releasing, I would not, especially if it has been housed with aquarium fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store