Alligator Gar has deformed bubble eye? Help!

MrHarris

Candiru
MFK Member
May 9, 2005
feeder tank
I have a 12" alligator gar and his right eye has this bubble shaped thing that completely engulfs his eye. It's been like this for like 6 months and hasn't shown any health problems but it's really ugly and was wondering if there's anything I could do? What is it? Help! :)

odalisay

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2006
At the foot of the cross
Try to take pics so that some of the big dawgs will be able to diagnos. GL!

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
It might also help to list your water parameters and tank mates.

MrHarris

Candiru
MFK Member
May 9, 2005
feeder tank
Water parameters, Temp 75, pH 7.8, ammonia nitrite 0, nitrate 20, can't measure gh or kh. Tank mates, 1 alligator gar same size, 3 15" florida gars and a 25" clown knife.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
what is the pH in your tank, and how often do you do water changes?

other than getting that info, my initial suggestion is to increase frequency of water changes to at least 1x a week, if not every other day to help the fish recover. also, add about 1tbsp of salt per 20g and increase temp to 82F. see if that helps the condition after a week or so.

another treatment that you can do along with the aforementioned one is to take the fish out and put neosporin on its eye. i have done this with fishes with damaged eyes several times and it has helped/worked well. do this maybe once every couple days and note any improvement, you should see it getting better after a week or so. good luck and keep us posted on how the fish is doing--
--solomon

Sarcosuchus

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2006
Everywhere
Beautiful Alligator Gar, looks great and I love the black on it. I hope the eye heals soon, keep us updated.

danny

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
uk
looks likeyour gar is suffering from exophthalmia,,,if it is i would starve the tank of food for at least one week maybe two and change 1/3 of warter every three day and as e amiricanus said increase temp and add salt,,,hope it all comes good for you;)

filiportela

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2005
portugal
she looks scary...:D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store