Introduction: Crayfish Researcher

RebelRiver

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2015
Las Vegas, Nevada
HEY ALL!

My name is River and I'm absolutely new to crayfish and to aquarium keeping in general; the only things I know I've learned from the materials & methods of research articles I've read. After one round of crayfish (~24) I've finally gotten the hang of the general housekeeping things. Let's say I learned the hard way about cycling water, ammonia levels, proper oxygenation and most of the other aspects of crayfish keeping. I have been able to successfully keep 9 crayfish for the past 3 months.

I work in a crustacean physiology lab at UNLV and my goal at this time is to measure gestation periods in different environments to compare, the end result of this project is to figure out why the crayfish hatch when they do. There's some speculation around this topic, but not much solid research.

"It's crayfish when I'm researching, crawfish when I'm eating them"

603136_10200531109906759_1979508158_n.jpg

603136_10200531109906759_1979508158_n.jpg

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Welcome to MFK. Im surprised you lost crays due to bad water, the ones around here can live in toxic waste and still survive haha.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Welcome, River!

I'm planning a crayfish this summer myself. This is something I've always wanted to set-up but have just always gets put aside. Well, this year, I'm determined.

Post some pics of your set-ups and from the lab.......we absolutely love pics here on MFK

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
Welcome. Crayfish are a fun species to keep. I have a few myself.

RebelRiver

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2015
Las Vegas, Nevada
Welcome to MFK. Im surprised you lost crays due to bad water, the ones around here can live in toxic waste and still survive haha.
I didn't know what water cycling was and the ammonia levels were through the roof once I managed to realize I should have been testing the water.. The only experience I had with fish prior was a Betta fish that my mom gave me an ultimatum with when I was a kid; I had to either clean the tank and take care of it or I had to give it away. Mr. Fish found a new home real fast..

Welcome, River!

I'm planning a crayfish this summer myself. This is something I've always wanted to set-up but have just always gets put aside. Well, this year, I'm determined.

Post some pics of your set-ups and from the lab.......we absolutely love pics here on MFK
My setup isn't very pretty. I don't even have a still photo of my larger tanks, but here's my setup for the individual "condos"

IMG_7381.JPGIMG_7412.JPGIMG_7413.JPGIMG_7419.JPG

IMG_7381.JPG

IMG_7412.JPG

IMG_7413.JPG

IMG_7419.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store