Realistic Lifespan of glass aquariums?

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I've been digging around for some info on the subject. In the range of 125-180g tanks how long can I expect a brand new tank to last, assuming it's going to be continuously running and on an adequate stand?

I'm less than a year out on purchasing my first home. The wife and I are finally in the position to save some dough. We're stashing about a grand a month into the down payment fund. I'm so excited. ...Excited to have my very own basement! I've got my eye set on a 6ft tank that's still kind of manageable to move and will be setup as long as possible without having to move or replace it.

I've got a 40b I just retired that was from 1988 that was in rough shape. If it were a larger tank I don't believe it would have held.

So basically my dilemma is that I don't know whether to just buy a $500 petstore 125 or spend the cash on a custom built 200ish gallon tank for about a grand or so. I see people say large glass tanks are only good for about a decade, if so then I don't think it's worth buying a really expensive tank. The tank will probably be in an unfinished basement and if I can get close to 20 years out of the tank then I think a custom tank is a viable option.

Do any of you have any big glass tanks that are around 20 years old?

I'm still not really interested in acrylic at this time.

I'm considering welding up an angle iron trim piece with center supports to silicone over the factory top trim as I've read many large tank failures are from stressed or broken center supports.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I have a 150 that's easily from the 80's. 1/2" plate glass, no center braces, every bit of 450 pounds bone dry. I have it in my bedroom and there isn't even a hint of the silicone letting go. I could sled ride in that thing and break my neck before that tank.

fattubwhale

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2011
Twin Cities, MN
I had a 150g thick glass ALLGLASS with factory stand and canopy. bought it new in 1996 and ran it till 2013. Used it for FW then to SW then back to FW with 2 moves in-between and never had any issues with seams or silicone through out the years. I would say it sat dry in the house from summer of 2013 till last month when i sold it and when cleaning it out there was some parts of the silicone that was lifting a bit... Buyer never called to say he had any leaking issues.

viejafish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2013
Northeast
I have a Perfecto 75 gal tank bought new in 1986, moved once, and bought a second new Perfecto 75 gal in 1992 in my new house. Both tanks have been in continuous use for over 25 years, and show no sign of failure. Medium size tanks seem to have no expiration day and can last forever. I don't know about big 125+ tanks though as I only own a 125g for 5 years.

12 Volt Man

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 24, 2007
canada
I had several tanks (30gs and 90 and 65) that I had while living with my parents that lasted from 1989 to 2008 when I moved out.

so, continuously setup they lasted 19 years and only were taken down because I sold them.

if made right, tanks with last 20+ years easily.

but don't drain them and move them around all the time, or let them sit dry. keep them filled and free of sunlight from windows and you should be good for a few decades.

eg. Aqueon tanks (formerly All Glass Aquarium) has a lifetime warrantly on tanks over 65g and it does NOT need to be on their own stand.

tells you something right there.

12 Volt Man

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 24, 2007
canada
I'm considering welding up an angle iron trim piece with center supports to silicone over the factory top trim as I've read many large tank failures are from stressed or broken center supports.
one of the reasons I chose an Aqueon branded tank for my 150g (check out my link in my sig) was because on the 150 size, the braces on aqueon tanks are thicker/beefier than marineland and the glass is thicker.

but there are other brands out there that are also good. alot of saltwater guys use Deep Sea Aquatics for glass tanks too.

good luck

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
Thanks a lot for the replies.

I have an AGA 40b from 1991 sitting under my 90 as a sump. I have another 40b from 1990 setup right now, and I recently broke down a 40b from 1988, that tank was danger close to catastrophic failure....I know old tanks - I just don't have any experience with large old tanks.

And I also don't think the "they don't make em like they used to arguement" applies to this situation either. I recently just gave away an AGA 75g built in 1994. The glass was only 1/4" thick and the trim was super thin, the centerbrace was narrow. Like pencil thin. The tank was starting to bow quite a bit. Comparing that to a 2014 aqueon 90g with 3/8" glass and super beefed up trim. The center brace was about 3 times wider and was ribbed on the backside. I know a 90g is a few inches taller so I kinda wrote it off. Then a month or so ago I bought a topfin branded aqueon 75g, the glass was much thicker at least 5/16" I didn't measure it but it's almost the same thickness as the 90g. And the topfin 75 shared the same beefy trim pieces as the 90 too. I am really impressed with the quality of the newer aqueon tanks. The workmanship on my 90 is exceptional. The alignment of the panels and silicone is flawless as far as I can see.... my older tanks... not so much.

I appreciate the input. I just want to be sure a large tank will be worth the money in the long run. I'm done with buying used tanks and want to choose my next one carefully.

If I can get 20 years out of a big glass tank I'm gonna seek out one of the two tank builders in know of in Wisconsin and price out a 180 versus the aqueon tanks at the LFS. If I can get the seller to drill it and save me the time and stress it'll be well worth it to me.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Damurph82

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2015
Knoxville TN
A few months back I bought an old 125 gallon braceless AGA off Craigslist and the guy selling it estimated it was from the late 90's. Sadly you could see the silicone turning white and letting loose from the top to several inches down one of the corners. After I got it home and got the trim cut off of it I noticed a sticker laying in the floor that was dated August 1987.

Sent from my LGUS990 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store