Looking to purchase any yellow goldfish and a few black orandas

GlennDalton

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2015
Cloverdale
www.facebook.com
I have noticed there are four different expressions of black amongst goldfish. One of them does not loose melanin as it gets older. It usually shows up in black orandas. I am also looking to breed yellow fish. I have decided it is easier to breed for the yellow color within the variety than line crossing and then line breeding and trying to reclaim the recorded confirmation for that variety.

Which brings me to my next point. I do not expect to make money as a professional breeder. The most I'm hoping for is to add something unique and special to the hobby.

I have a question for you all, should I breed toward the recorded confirmation of the variety or breed toward what I like?

I also have another query of yall, Goldfish are compatible with every type of carp in existence. (although some offspring will end up sterile). Joseph Smartt hypothesized that by breeding the current day goldfish with it's progenitor the Prussian Carp it will give rise to the expression of colors and shapes never seen before. So in that line of thought I'm planning on crossing goldfish with different types of carp. This could increase there longevity, disease resistance, size, and might result in hybrid gigantism. It is commonly seen in lion/tiger crosses but has only recently been discovered to happen amongst fish. The result could be a fancy goldfish weighing 30 LBS. Conceivably it could rival Koi. What do you guys think about this? I value your opinion.

Glenn

yellow.jpgyellow1.jpgyellow2.jpgyellow3.jpgyellow4.jpg

yellow.jpg

yellow1.jpg

yellow2.jpg

yellow3.jpg

yellow4.jpg

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
i suggest breeding the varieties you like first. Use that time to gain more knowledge, and experience, in selective breeding techniques, genetics, and the use of commercial hatchery breeding hormone usage (Ovi-Prim injections) before undertaking a large project such as breeding for gigantism.

GlennDalton

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2015
Cloverdale
www.facebook.com
Very good advice Oddball. Thank you. I have spent a great deal of money on books and have used an OCR to translate books on goldfish genetics written in Mandarin. I have OCD so it's all or nothing with me. I just finished Joseph Smartt's book on goldfish genetics and was left with only more questions. My cousin farms carp in Alberta and had alot more practical advice than any of those books.

Thank you,

Glenn

GlennDalton

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2015
Cloverdale
www.facebook.com
I crossed a mirror carp with a red and white ryukin which resulted in about 20 fry. 4 of them are showing extraordinary growth. One year old and already 1.5" long. I think the incongruities in size and maneuverability resulted in a poor spawning. I've taken my favorite types and put them in very large tanks (and tubs) in the basement I've made spawning containers out of Rubbermaid clothing containers that are about 4x3x9". I've purchased numerous Bacto-Surge Sponge Filter Kit's to go in the flat clothing containers. I have several different types of fry and so have consolidated them all in the one container with the cycled sponge. Never having a sponge filter before I'm not really familiar how it's supposed to look. It looks as if I might need to vacuum the bottom of the container since the sponge does not have much pull. How long should my fish be before I move them to a regular tank? Does anyone have any suggestions on which types of sponge filters are the best?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store