Suggestions?

Thatfishboy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2015
Northern indiana
Hey guys! I was putting this out to see if ou guys had any suggestions on what to do better with my tank.
I have a polypterus delhezi and he is about 4.5" he's in good condition and has good markings. He still has his gills sticking out. The little guy is in a 125 gallon tank with
7 angelfish 4" tall
2 spotted raphael catfish 2"
5 cory catfish 2"
2 banjo catfish 3.5"
1 African featherfin catfish 5"
1 Synodontis petricola 3"
3 swordtails 2.5"
2 angel Rams 2"
2 BN plecos 4"
1 sailfin pleco 7"
1 Apple snail 1.5"
It is running a Eheim professional 3 canister filter, eheim jäger 300 watt heater, UV sterilizer, and a bubbler. It has a white sand bottom with blue rocks, has a cage,hollow rock, hollow w log, big piece of driftwood, rock formation, and PVC pipe. It also has ten live plants and about ten fake plants. The temp is at 80 degrees, ammonia 0, nitrite 0 nitrate 20. Thanks. Any suggestions are welcome. for the well being of the bichir!

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Askaleymanfish

Aimara
MFK Member
May 15, 2014
Danville Virginia
U seem to be doin alright for urself man ... Only things I'd suggest is watch the pleco it could kill the bichir by sucking its slime coat..... And some of those fiah u have May get eatin one day down the road when the del gets bigger

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
U seem to be doin alright for urself man ... Only things I'd suggest is watch the pleco it could kill the bichir by sucking its slime coat..... And some of those fiah u have May get eatin one day down the road when the del gets bigger

+1 you might be able to get away with the bristle noses, but the sail fin will start experimenting with slime coat sooner or later. Also the swords and rams may get eaten or bit, but it may not be a while until that starts. That may not even start depending on if your del's temperament. Most upper jaws are pretty laid back and won't eat anything unless there is a major size difference (10" poly vs 2"livebearer). Other than that they usually don't eat tank mates.

Thatfishboy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2015
Northern indiana
He hasn't shown any aggression yet and usually backs off to the swordtails and angel rams. The pleco usually wits till the other fish are done eating and hpthen he eats. Pleco eats and then swims right Back to the driftwood. Thanks guys for helping out!
My aquarium story: the fish keeping experience all started when I got a goldfish from the fair about 10 months ago. After I did some research and realized that the goldfish couldn't be kept in a bowl, I got a ten gallon tank for him. Being inexperienced I also got a bala shark, lion head goldfish, blackmoore goldfish, balloon molly, and black molly, also a snail and a rubber lip pleco. So as you can see I want very smart. They all died except for the original fair goldfish which I still have, he is a bout 5" long. I then for Christmas got a 125 gallon tank and that has what led me to these fish. I also have a ten gallon with baby swordtails, 39 gallon with the goldfish and sick fish, and then I have a 59 gallon with a big pleco In it. Btw I try to sound sophisticated to fit in with you guys but I am only twelve years old. This forum has helped me sooo much and I just want to thank you guys for all of the help. This forum has really crafted my love for fish keeping!

Askaleymanfish

Aimara
MFK Member
May 15, 2014
Danville Virginia
He hasn't shown any aggression yet and usually backs off to the swordtails and angel rams. The pleco usually wits till the other fish are done eating and hpthen he eats. Pleco eats and then swims right Back to the driftwood. Thanks guys for helping out!
My aquarium story: the fish keeping experience all started when I got a goldfish from the fair about 10 months ago. After I did some research and realized that the goldfish couldn't be kept in a bowl, I got a ten gallon tank for him. Being inexperienced I also got a bala shark, lion head goldfish, blackmoore goldfish, balloon molly, and black molly, also a snail and a rubber lip pleco. So as you can see I want very smart. They all died except for the original fair goldfish which I still have, he is a bout 5" long. I then for Christmas got a 125 gallon tank and that has what led me to these fish. I also have a ten gallon with baby swordtails, 39 gallon with the goldfish and sick fish, and then I have a 59 gallon with a big pleco In it. Btw I try to sound sophisticated to fit in with you guys but I am only twelve years old. This forum has helped me sooo much and I just want to thank you guys for all of the help. This forum has really crafted my love for fish keeping!

Any time buddy ask any questions u have that's what the forum is for ... To help :)

RLHam3

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2008
Georgia
All of that being said the pleco and the 2 synodontis still pose a serious threat to your polypterus. Im assuming that the sailfin is a gibbiceps. This pleco, as well as any other pleco from the sailfin genus will get large and territorial. As he gets larger and larger, he will get more and more hormones coming in. It is these hormones which will make the pleco more territorial (synodontis too). So basically you wouldn't really expect the behavior until puberty. Just because the catfish are not currently showing that behavior, does not mean that they will not in the future. I would highly recommend different catfish and especially different plecos for your tank. In my opinion the gibbiceps is one of the top 5 worst plecos for a polypterus tank. Somebody earlier recommended ancistrus which is a great suggestion, I have had much luck with this combo in the past. I currently have panaque in with my polys and they too are a very peaceful pleco who will leave your polys alone.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store