resealing leaking tank

dakota954

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2015
United States
I'm buying a 210 gallon that has a slight leak in the bottom corner. How would I go about resealing this tank? Also, what would I do about the trim that's on the bottom because the last tank that I resealed , the trim on the bottom broke into a million pieces and I had to build a frame out of 2x4s. Is the bottom trim needed? I have resealed tanks before I just want to hear everybody's method of doing so

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
I usually cut out all the silicone on the inside with a bunch of razor blades. Making sure I don't cut into any of the actual seams that are holding the tank together I just clean very well with sponge and warm water. Then I use ASI aquarium silicone and reseal the whole thing. Let it sit for 10 days Then good to go

millerkid519

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
stratford ontario canada
I do the same jsodwi but I use ge silicone 1 a week is a long time to let it sit, once the smell of the silicone goes away and goes from translucent to transparent you are good to go 3 to 4 days should be good with the amount of Silicon you will need to apply.

Mihajlo525

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2015
Canada
I usually cut out all the silicone on the inside with a bunch of razor blades. Making sure I don't cut into any of the actual seams that are holding the tank together I just clean very well with sponge and warm water. Then I use ASI aquarium silicone and reseal the whole thing. Let it sit for 10 days Then good to go
No need for a razor. When I was resealing a heavy leaking 40 long tank I got a long time ago for free, I just added acetone after ridding of all the old silicone then added tape surrounding the area in which I'd add silicone, and when added I'd run my finger across to seal it and spread the silicone. Then when I finished adding the silicone I removed the masking tape and voila smooth edges.

Sent from my GT-S7560M using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

bradleyagregg

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2010
pittsburgh
No need for a razor. When I was resealing a heavy leaking 40 long tank I got a long time ago for free, I just added acetone after ridding of all the old silicone then added tape surrounding the area in which I'd add silicone, and when added I'd run my finger across to seal it and spread the silicone. Then when I finished adding the silicone I removed the masking tape and voila smooth edges.

So what did you use to "rid all of the old silicone" ?

D.Wolf

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2013
Slovenia, Europe

Never thought about masking tape..great advice! :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

dakota954

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2015
United States
I filled the tank with water for a day without a single leak. The guy I bought it from said it had a leak but I'm convinced it was his fish splashing water out the top and it running down the side (he had a nurse shark in it which he said got very excited at feeding time and would splash) maybe water got trapped in the frame from splashing and was dripping down the side? I don't know. I'm resealing the seam inside the tank anyway just because the silicone looked a little ragged and I'd rather be safe than sorry

dakota954

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2015
United States
Well I resealed the tank, looks like a 4 year old did it but there are no air bubbles so hopefully it will hold. How long should I let the silicone cure?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store