Emergency Help!. My FRT is severely ill..

Chen_JunJie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2015
Kaohsiung
My FRT keeps sleeping at the corner all whole days & nights (2days now). He is lopsided swimming & has a cloudy eye on the right side. The water parameters are good. The appetite is reduced but still eating. Ph is 6.7 & water temperature is 32'C (I increase it).

Please help & give advice. Your information & suggestion can save his life. Thanks advanced.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Why are you keeping the FRT in such a low pH? These turts hail from alkaline conditions. I kept my 4 FRTs in a pH of 8.0 and higher. Their substrate was fine coral sand with the addition of aragonite rice granules. Are you offering your FRT calcium supplements and vitamins containing D3 (so your turt can absorb the calcium). And, my turts did better with the addition of some marine mix in their water. I kept them just shy of brackish conditions to help in preventing fungal infections to their leathery carapace. At first, I kept them in neutral fresh conditions and they kept having fungal infections to their nostrils. That stopped after the addition of salt. Also, your temp needs to come down to about 84F max.

Note, keep an eye on your FRT once he reaches about 2 years of age. One of my young turts bit a wedge-shaped chunk out of a 2ft AUL and the lungfish didn't survive the wound.

I see what looks like a mounted heater in pic #2. If it is, get a shield on it. You turt will try to get behind it at some point and it's carapace can be easily burned.

Chen_JunJie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2015
Kaohsiung
Why are you keeping the FRT in such a low pH? These turts hail from alkaline conditions. I kept my 4 FRTs in a pH of 8.0 and higher. Their substrate was fine coral sand with the addition of aragonite rice granules. Are you offering your FRT calcium supplements and vitamins containing D3 (so your turt can absorb the calcium). And, my turts did better with the addition of some marine mix in their water. I kept them just shy of brackish conditions to help in preventing fungal infections to their leathery carapace. At first, I kept them in neutral fresh conditions and they kept having fungal infections to their nostrils. That stopped after the addition of salt. Also, your temp needs to come down to about 84F max.

Note, keep an eye on your FRT once he reaches about 2 years of age. One of my young turts bit a wedge-shaped chunk out of a 2ft AUL and the lungfish didn't survive the wound.

I see what looks like a mounted heater in pic #2. If it is, get a shield on it. You turt will try to get behind it at some point and it's carapace can be easily burned.
hi, brother oddball, noted & thanks for the suggestion. I have kept baby PNT together with baby aro. So, Ph couldn't be too high. I feed him high Vit D3 & Vit E wafers. Phosphorus & calcium ratio 0.8:2 but only minus is no high Vit A content for the eyes. I will add aquarium salt & keep at room temperature 26-28'C. Hope his condition better.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store