Important Arowana Question & Advice Please.

Pataphysicist

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2014
Boynton Beach
I bought a 12" Arowana not too long ago and to my surprise she's a great eater, eats right out of my hand, literally. Now the one thing i notice is every time i get up in the morning, she's splashing all over the place, making all kinds of noise. Due to this her fins are getting all torn up. Now as soon as i put the light on, she calms down and i don't hear her going crazy anymore. This might be cause by her getting spooked by her own reflection or just being dark ? Was thinking in maybe buying a nightlight since my 6FT light fixture only has low/high LED Mode, doesn't have a nightlight mode. Can you guys tell me if this behavior is normal or unusual. Also if i do purchase a night light, whats the best one out there, or a cheap one that does the trick. Thank you

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Any tankmates? Could be they're bothering it at night if they're a nocturnal species.

REDTAIL1928

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2005
U could always add a few led strips that are brighter and it will help lower the aggression. In an issue of amazonia magazine from this past summer, 2014, u will see an article from one of the wtiters that have a group of asian aros together in the UK, he found out that when he applied blue leds at night, the aggression ended alot. Look into it, I believe it july or August 2014 issue. Its the one about keeping big fish. I use them too and it works great. I got a set og two high output ones from advanced auto parts and it was cheap and very brite too.

Sent from my SGH-M819N using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Pataphysicist

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2014
Boynton Beach
U could always add a few led strips that are brighter and it will help lower the aggression. In an issue of amazonia magazine from this past summer, 2014, u will see an article from one of the wtiters that have a group of asian aros together in the UK, he found out that when he applied blue leds at night, the aggression ended alot. Look into it, I believe it july or August 2014 issue. Its the one about keeping big fish. I use them too and it works great. I got a set og two high output ones from advanced auto parts and it was cheap and very brite too.

I found this on ebay, don't really want to buy it since I already have a nice 72" 300 Led fixture 10k lighting , but no night mode. Maybe ill spend the $100 on this one for the night mode unless something else cheaper out there.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/72-82-Multi...b&pid=100005&rk=3&rkt=6&sd=190858271078&rt=nc

Pataphysicist

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2014
Boynton Beach
Any tankmates? Could be they're bothering it at night if they're a nocturnal species.
This morning literally watched exactly what's going on. When my silver arowana swims close to my female spotted gar, my male spotted gar goes nuts on her. He actually took 5 scales of her today, same thing happens when is feeding time. If the arowana takes the piece of tilapia he was going after. He chases after her. Guess the gars or the arowana goes. Tough decision to make :/

I had the male spotted gar since he was 5" long and he's 18" Now , he was never aggressive , matter of fact my clown knife manhandles him all the time and he does nothing about it. As soon as I added this female he's changed a bit, takes the aggression on the Silver arowana.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
I believe gars "drive" will be more existent towards a silver fish as well and silvers seem to be the type of fish that if it isn't dominant it is practically the lowest in the hierarchy or will go crazy when. The fish that bothers it approaches. They're punks lol. I've only had one. He didn't see much aggression from others but was aggressive towards a gar I had. I got rid of it at approximately 15 inches though.

REDTAIL1928

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2005
Dude... I watched my silver morph spotted gar take a snap at my aro and spit out a scale. Then my 11" tig gets mauled. Gar is ouuttaaaa here!!!!! They are aggressive and belong with thick akin fish, period. I was in disbelief of what happened but that was my experience just 2 days ago. So there u go

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store