BGK tankmate questions.

cataphractz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2015
Oregon, US
I have a couple questions regarding tankmates for a BGK in a 120 (4x2x2) gallon planted aquarium that I am planning.

First off, would a couple Spotted Raphael Catfish work in the tank? I saw a couple at my LFS today and kind of fell in love, and I feel like they'd be plenty big enough to not get eaten.

Secondly, would Congo tetras work? I love them, and the get fairly large all around, as their bodies are much taller than your average tetra as well as longer.

Other suggestions are more than welcome, I was toying with the idea of angels but I'm not sure I like the idea of them. I considered silver dollars too as a lot of users seemed to suggest them, but I'd much rather get the congos.

vincentwugwg

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2013
New York Mets
First off, the Raphael Catfish might 'dig up' your planted tank.. not the best choice as they usually just lay there until food is present. Secondly, Congo tetras may work for now but when your BGK gets to 10 inches or more... the Congo tetras will become feeders for the BGK. I have a pair of BGK that is 12 and 14 inches. I would suggest something along the lines of an Archer or a group of them.

cataphractz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2015
Oregon, US
Ah, guess I haven't done enough research on the Raphael then, and that was what I feared the answer would be for the Congo, I had just fool's hope. I have a feeling I'll end up settling for something like angels.

Runitis

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2011
Winnipeg,MB, Canada
Here my tank mates for start. With my BGK about 10". 4 line pim, red bay snook, dimerus, tin foil barb, panamensis, and many bichirs. I have had 0 problems with any tankk mates and i have had fish as small as 2" baby cichlids with him. and at this size i have trouble seeing him eat any congos. Especially since he does not come out of his log unless eating pellets. Plus bgk growth isnt that fast. So in short i think all your suggested mates should work.

P.S not saying 100% he wont eat the congos just i cant see it happening.

Reactions: Davidiator

KiiNGGiiNGER

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2013
Marietta, Ohio
Ah, guess I haven't done enough research on the Raphael then, and that was what I feared the answer would be for the Congo, I had just fool's hope. I have a feeling I'll end up settling for something like angels.
I have mega raphaels in my tank that are 7-8 inches and if you provide them with a rock or driftwood hideout they wont bother your plants at all

cataphractz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2015
Oregon, US
Here my tank mates for start. With my BGK about 10". 4 line pim, red bay snook, dimerus, tin foil barb, panamensis, and many bichirs. I have had 0 problems with any tankk mates and i have had fish as small as 2" baby cichlids with him. and at this size i have trouble seeing him eat any congos. Especially since he does not come out of his log unless eating pellets. Plus bgk growth isnt that fast. So in short i think all your suggested mates should work.

P.S not saying 100% he wont eat the congos just i cant see it happening.
Hmm, alright... That's what my thought process was as well, I just couldn't imagine even a pretty decently sized BGK swallowing a full grown Congo Tetra whole. Plus I really want a school of them, so I might just run the risk and if I see them vanishing I'll relocate them.

Thatfishboy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2015
Northern indiana
I have two Raphael's in my planted tank with sand bottom and they haven't uprooted any of my plants but like they said mine just stay in the log until food is present . But the look awesome when they are scavenging for pellets!

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

cataphractz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2015
Oregon, US
Thank you. I saw a pair at my LFS swimming about (presumably looking for food) and realized they were this catfish I always saw in this fish keeping book when I was little, and I could recognize them but didn't know a name. So naturally, I want to buy a couple :p

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store