Rainbow shark with read earedslider?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brown_snake

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2013
Australia
Has anyone ever tried keeping a rainbow shark with a read-eared slider in a large tank? If so, what was the outcome? A fish eaten within a couple of hours? I'm genuinely curious. Based on the answers that my previous questions on this forum have elicited so far, it seems that the tinfoil barb is the only type of fish that has a reasonably good chance of surviving if placed in the same tank as a slider. Or have there been other types of fish that have done well with sliders? Would love to hear about your experiments with various fish and slider combinations. Thanks in advance

Bottomfeeder

Dovii
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Land of the flea and home of the whopper.
Again, I would be worried about the bioload produced by the turtle making it difficult to maintain the water quality needed to support fish life.

And any fish you cohabitate with a turtle will eventually end up between the jaws of the turtle.

I feel like we've had this discussion before.

Z Trip

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Canada
Just say no to fish when keeping a turtle.

brown_snake

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2013
Australia
Again, I would be worried about the bioload produced by the turtle making it difficult to maintain the water quality needed to support fish life.

And any fish you cohabitate with a turtle will eventually end up between the jaws of the turtle.

I feel like we've had this discussion before.
Well, yes. I did mention that I have asked similar questions previously pertaining to red eared sliders and their compatibility with different species of fish. The answer I received on both occasions was that tinfoil barbs were the best option. However, I'm not really in favor of the tin foil barb option. They are a shoaling species and the accumulated bio-load resulting from such a combination is something I'd rather avoid. Hence the search for a fish that while swift enough to avoid a turtle's jaws, doesn't require the presence of several others from its own species to keep it company. I understand your frustration when I repeatedly ask what appears to be the same question, but I just want to ensure that I have a tank setup where all the occupants are happy. Anyway, since it seems that apart from tin foil barbs, everything else will almost certainly end up as a turtle snack, I'll give fish tank mates a miss.

toolsforfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2014
Dark Side of the Moon
I have a Florida male spiny softshell about 3years old he lived with fish before I got him and lives with fish now. As well he lived with an umbee previously who would pester him... He stays farrrr away from other fish now.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

CretaceousCreatures101

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2015
Oakland County, Michigan
Brown snake, Im going to try and put this into as few words as I can:
People sometimes talk about things they don't know anything about. Not directing that at anyone, just putting that out there. Don't be afraid to experiment. Sure, you have to be responsible and be able to deal with consequences, but a lot of times people will say certain combos won't work when really they will, given the proper care and maintenance.
My advice to you would be to get a smaller, less aggressive turtle like a mud or musk turtle, and try housing it with a big, pond size comet goldfish. You'll never be able to truly know what will and will not work until you try it yourself. Of course, common sense plays a role (you can't expect to house a pair of Flowehorns with an Angelfish). But if it seems possible, try it.
And honestly people, nobody needs any crap about how "Goldfish are coldwater fish." Nobody is going to buy a chiller for a 20 gallon with nothing but a few Black Moors.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

brown_snake

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2013
Australia
Brown snake, Im going to try and put this into as few words as I can:
People sometimes talk about things they don't know anything about. Not directing that at anyone, just putting that out there. Don't be afraid to experiment. Sure, you have to be responsible and be able to deal with consequences, but a lot of times people will say certain combos won't work when really they will, given the proper care and maintenance.
My advice to you would be to get a smaller, less aggressive turtle like a mud or musk turtle, and try housing it with a big, pond size comet goldfish. You'll never be able to truly know what will and will not work until you try it yourself. Of course, common sense plays a role (you can't expect to house a pair of Flowehorns with an Angelfish). But if it seems possible, try it.
And honestly people, nobody needs any crap about how "Goldfish are coldwater fish." Nobody is going to buy a chiller for a 20 gallon with nothing but a few Black Moors.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Hey, thanks so much for your encouraging and supportive words. Sometimes, it's just so confusing where the whole turtle and fish combination is concerned . Some people will claim that they've had algae eaters residing peacefully with their turtles for years with no issues while others will insist that their algae eaters immediately ended up becoming turtle snacks. Everyone has a different story to relate

And you're absolutely right about selecting a different species of turtle. Truth be told, I don't really care all that much for red eared sliders which get way too big and aggressive for me. Unfortunately, I'm currently residing in Singapore where the only two species of turtles that are commercially available are red eared sliders and Malayan box turtles. I really don't understand the rationale behind restricting us to such a large, aggressive species when it'd make more sense to allow us to acquire a smaller and more peaceful alternative like a mud turtle.

Again, thanks so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store