Bulkhead frustrations suggestions please

tanyaelec11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2012
canada
For the last week I have been trying to seal the bulkheads to my 240. And they are still leaking. One is 1 1/2 and the other is 2 " . I have cleaned the glass with rubbing alcohol tightened as tight as I could get them ( hand tight ) and there is still a slow drip . I am about to make a third attempt. Would a chip on the outside of the hole effect the seal ? I had a LFS drill the holes and build the tank. Any suggestions are welcome because I'm at my wits end ! Thank you uploadfromtaptalk1428948847112.jpg

Sent from my Z933 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
I would tighten them a bit with a wrench. There might not be enough compression hand tight. Or you might have to replace the seals. otherwise, sometimes I just let them drip a bit and they will seal themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
I would tighten them a bit with a wrench. There might not be enough compression hand tight. Or you might have to replace the seals. otherwise, sometimes I just let them drip a bit and they will seal themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
+1

Step 1: wrench tighten
Step 2: test again
Step 3: if still leaking, let the tank and gaskets dry out
Step 4: test it out again
Step 5: if it continues to leak go get a newer, thicker gasket

You can try steps 1-4 twice over a couple days, like pharaoh said bulkheads have a way of sealing themselves after a while.

Sent from my Z10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

tanyaelec11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2012
canada
Thank you I will try again and see what happens. Its hard to get the wrench in because the bracing as pictured below . its a tight space !

Sent from my Z933 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

If a wrench doesn't fit, i've seen people on Youtube use a long handled flathead screwdriver and hammer to inch it tight. But please do some research on that - I don't want you to break your tank! And I may be giving bad advice unknowingly! I've also seen silicone used - again please research it and don't take my word for it - but you said you were desperate! :)

johnny potatoes

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2010
Dewey
I use a large set of channel locks to tighten mine. I'm looking at the picture though, the bottom bulkhead in the pic looks as though the gasket is on the nut side of the bulkhead. The gasket always goes I the head side of the bulkhead whether I the wet side or dry side of the glass. If the gasket is on the nut side and that is the wet side of the bulkhead water will find is way down the threads and leak.

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I use a large set of channel locks to tighten mine. I'm looking at the picture though, the bottom bulkhead in the pic looks as though the gasket is on the nut side of the bulkhead. The gasket always goes I the head side of the bulkhead whether I the wet side or dry side of the glass. If the gasket is on the nut side and that is the wet side of the bulkhead water will find is way down the threads and leak.

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
+1. The external threads arent water tight.

A while back I set up my 90 and the sump and plumbing was ridiculous. I had no leaks when I tested it in the basement. It took about 6 hours to get the tank setup. I noticed one of the bulkheads was dropping, I was too tired to deal with it. It was dripping onto the lid of the sump so I wasn't worried. I ignored it for a couple days and it went away. Its fine almost half a year later

Be cautious with silicone. The bulkhead is intended to seal by friction rather than chemical adhesion. Silicone will make thr gasket slip and not seat correctly as it cures. I've successfully siliconed a bulkhead once a couple years back but I read about people having issues doing that.

Just make sure everything is super dry. Get it tight but don't go too crazy.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

tanyaelec11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2012
canada
well despite how heavy it was ( good thing I had help ) ( love my husband !) we lifted the tank over away from the support box and put the bulkheads on and tightened them . so far no leaks . however if we move I will have to purchase a new bulkhead . ( thread got squished on the bottom) so I am facing the grim task of filling the tank and hooking the rest of the setup up.

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
well despite how heavy it was ( good thing I had help ) ( love my husband !) we lifted the tank over away from the support box and put the bulkheads on and tightened them . so far no leaks . however if we move I will have to purchase a new bulkhead . ( thread got squished on the bottom) so I am facing the grim task of filling the tank and hooking the rest of the setup up.
Grim? How is that grim lol, so much fun watching a new setup run.

Sent from my Z10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store