Questions About ShortBody

RSLTID

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2014
Utah
I have (unknowingly) purchased a short body Albino Senegal. I am wondering what to expect as far adult length and girth. I'm not sure if it is going to be able to survive in my tank as the other fish grow. If I was to sell it, what is it worth? Are they common? Just FYI, I have had it for 3 months, with no growth in length (about 3") but a lot of fatness. I guess another question would be: how long should I watch it "not grow" to determine it is a true short body? All thoughts and comments welcomed.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
Senegals are tricky to judge. They can all differ in growth rate, so your may not be a SB, but just a senegal with a slow growth rate. Sometimes people say a poly may chunk up or fatten up before growing length wise. The amount of time to determine weather it is or isn't a SB should be about 4 months more. If you don't see any growth then it's most likely a SB. Another way to tell is if it's head is out of proportion of the body. So if you look at a picture of a normal 3" albino senegal and compare yours. If yours is a SB its head will be big on a small body. If it is a SB then the market can be unpredictable. Some will pay more than others for a SB. Also if you are planning to sell locally that makes it harder because you have to find someone who would want one and what price range they think it's worth. Depending on your area you could sell it for a decent amount or barely anything.

framcosco

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2010
los angeles, ca
Hello...... take some good pictures..... post.......and we will tell you!! I have "normal", semi short body, short body, super short body, and long finned albino senegalus.

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
Yeah I'm limited to what I've read. Frank has hands on so he's more credible

RSLTID

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2014
Utah
Sorry it took two nights. This is the one that might be a SB. I have another Albino Senagal that I bought two months later. It was the same length at purchase, just skinny. Now it is about the same girth, but longer.
?????

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1429141720.731437.jpg

framcosco

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2010
los angeles, ca
Looks "semi short body". Probably will max at 6"s. Many albino senegalus don't grow like their counterparts. Even regular albino sengalus tend to max at 7"-8".... not saying there aren't larger, but not common.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store