New tank coming, considering a corner overflow

MHDevelopments

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 13, 2014
Suffolk
www.m-h-developments.co.uk
I am very soon buying a used 7x2.5' footprint tank to upgrade my stingrays.

I'm not confident with sumps at the moment so will be using some large external canisters.

I have an idea to have a piece of glass cut and to silicone it across one of the internal, rear corners at 45 degrees. Fit to the top of it one of the overflow brushes/fences that stop fish etc going over the top.
The idea is to put the canister filter returns in the overflow box, but also to put a fair amount of K1 in there. Thinking that the K1 will get agitated really well by the constant falling water, plus I'll have the benefit of the surface of the tank water being skimmed.

Other filtration will be some home made large capacity vat, fed by syphon and pump return, but I won't go into all that.

Thoughts on the K1 idea please. Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
Agreed. Sump is the way to go hands down. Plenty of us on here can help you with that.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
FWIW, I have the exact same tank footprint and would suggest you think about a sump. I think canisters will work too, but considering you have an opportunity to start from scratch I would just go with a sump. But if you're set on canister, I'm not really seeing justifiable benefits to put the canister in the overflow. I would just run externally. If you are set on that, you may want to consider black acrylic for the overflow box - that's also used for what you are looking to do.

MHDevelopments

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 13, 2014
Suffolk
www.m-h-developments.co.uk
I'd like to thank you all for taking the time to reply, really appreciated.

Here's where I'm at on sumps. I would like one. The concept of sumps makes total sense, my issue is I have practically no experience with them and there for their set up seems complicated, I'm sure it isn't.
I have scrapped the internal overflow/K1 idea.

To get the tank up and running, I will initially take a canister off my current 4x2 and use it to seed the new tank.

The tank is situated in an outside building, a summerhouse, with timber greenhouse attached. So I will use a 1"1/2 waste pipe to run a syphon into a large black two chambered vat I have, intending to use it for K1 (water passing through filter sock first). Then pumped up into two large domestic loft tanks, creating two large media chambers before returning to the tank via a gravity feed.

I would like a sump also - you can't have too much filtration nor additional volume to any setup. I will have to get a good knowledgable friend to set up my sump for means educate me in the finer details of getting it set up correctly.

Anyone interested in new tank layout in relation to greenhouse and filtration setup? I'll take some pics to try to make sense of what I'm saying.

Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
I think you took a wise step in getting opinions and I applaud your subsequent decisions. Ultimately a sump (despite it's unfamiliarity) will provide the best overall value and performance, imo. It just doesn't seem to me that someone like you would have a problem with it once you get basic experience.

By the way, my future plans include an external building for housing a tank, so maybe you will share updated photos or plans of your summerhouse. It already sounds like a valuable thread in the making.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store