Good catfish for cleaning uneaten food and waste of tank floor?

JONNY CICHLA

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2008
England""
Whot do you guys think will make a good catfish for cleaning bits of muscle/prawn and spat out pellets from my really mesey peacock bass?

would like a cool nice looking catfish" and who does"nt hide to much when lights are on tank!

Did think of a rip saw catfish of some sort?

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
Just about every catfish will eat scraps / leftovers. You need proper filtration for the waste. (And if food is just building up, then you may need better filtration, anyway.)

It all depends on how big the tank is before recommending a catfish.

JONNY CICHLA

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2008
England""
Just about every catfish will eat scraps / leftovers. You need proper filtration for the waste. (And if food is just building up, then you may need better filtration, anyway.)

It all depends on how big the tank is before recommending a catfish.
iv got a 4ft by 2ft by 20inch sump for filtration buddy! my main tank is 5ft by 30inch by 30inch 197gallons without sump!

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Size of the sump is in no way indicative of how well it filters and how efficiently it is being used. Bigger sump just means you can fit more stuff in it, but if you are not fitting that stuff in where it needs to be (not saying you arent) then all a bigger sump does is increase the amount of water in the system as a whole, which may do more worse than good if the filtration is lacking.

Any catfish should kill all scraps. My vulture catfish were my favorite.

Sent from my Z10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Size of the sump is in no way indicative of how well it filters and how efficiently it is being used. Bigger sump just means you can fit more stuff in it, but if you are not fitting that stuff in where it needs to be (not saying you arent) then all a bigger sump does is increase the amount of water in the system as a whole, which may do more worse than good if the filtration is lacking.

Any catfish should kill all scraps. My vulture catfish were my favorite.

The main benefit of a larger sump is to hold more media and provide more water volume in the overall system to dilute waste buildup

CaptainS

Banned
Dec 14, 2014
Bay Area
I think a cool catfish would be one of the bullhead catfish but since you live in england another option could be getting a walking catfish/clarius batrachus very cool catfish that does a good job cleaning up scraps and big enough to not get eaten by your peacock bass or eat your peacock bass.

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
I like your setup bro. Telling you, look up vulture catfish. Tigrinus are always awesome.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store