ph a big problem for fish?

JONNY CICHLA

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2008
England""
Does the ph really matter to the fish? if your water quolity is good" like low nitrates?

my water is ph 8
kh hardness is low at 2-3
tds 106 ppm

nitrate is 10-15ppm

just would like the ph down to around 7"

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Depend on what species you want to keep, some species love PH 8+ or don't even care about it but some solf water species probably want to stay in low PH range to stay happy.

Big Jay

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2008
Northeast
A lot of species really don't care about PH. My RH tapajos are kept in similar water and they've laid eggs and do just fine. The only species that consistently seem to be sensitive to ph/kh are african cichlids and discus. If someone can think of another, feel free to chime in.

Back in the old days we would use peat or peat pellets in the filter to soften the water and thus lower the PH

catfishacr

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Iowa City, IA
A consistent Ph is more important than trying to achieve a perfect Ph. What kind of fish are you keeping that you want to lower the PH? As mentioned above, unless you have sensitive fish, I wouldn't mess with it.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
A lot of species really don't care about PH. My RH tapajos are kept in similar water and they've laid eggs and do just fine. The only species that consistently seem to be sensitive to ph/kh are african cichlids and discus.
Nearly all domestic discus breeders are just using straight tap water: hard and 7 and above pH. I have a friend whose been breeding all sorts of Africans for years in soft, neutral water. So, I agree with Catfishacr that it's about consistency

Big Jay

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2008
Northeast
Nearly all domestic discus breeders are just using straight tap water: hard and 7 and above pH. I have a friend whose been breeding all sorts of Africans for years in soft, neutral water. So, I agree with Catfishacr that it's about consistency
I stand corrected. I agree on consistency. I think a lot of ppl make the mistake of trying to fuss with PH and it does more harm than good. Acclimate those babies properly and keep up with your water changes. That's all you really need.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
A consistent Ph is more important than trying to achieve a perfect Ph. What kind of fish are you keeping that you want to lower the PH? As mentioned above, unless you have sensitive fish, I wouldn't mess with it.
Exactly. Leave the tap how it is unless you're confident that you can keep your PH consistent with additives. I couldn't lol.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

JONNY CICHLA

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2008
England""
iv got soft water but high ph" dont know wy the ph is this high with soft water? i use R/0 water a minerals to buffer and little tap water!

i have peacockbass and flagtail wich are south american fish" but seam ok in ph! But thinking of asian arowana to go in there also!

id use tapwater but dont think arowana like clorean out the tap water! and nitrate is 10-15 ppm out tap!

NorCal

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2015
Marina, CA
I've kept fish in high PH that are meant for low PH for a long time. Or at least from what I've read. I've had Angel fish in 8-8.2 ph for over a year and they seem to be perfectly fine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store