Lost my Silver - hoping to get back into the Arowana game - Lei?

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
Well, I've had 3 silver arowanas over the past few years. The first I lost at around the 24" mark when he jumped. Lesson learned there.

The second I gave away when he got over 20" because the biggest tank I had was a 180 gallon, and I was worried he was getting cramped in there.

This last arowana was the first to actually die IN my tank (240 gallon). Not sure what happened, all three of his tank mates are still doing well. He had refused to eat for about a week (nothing too abnormal in my experience with silvers) but then one day he just died. Water parameters tested within reason. Not perfect, but no worse than when I miss a water change one week. Anyway, it was hard because I don't loose too many fish. Especially fish I've raised from 2" to 20+". His tank mates were a large H. Odoe and two decent sized FL gars. All three were smaller than him though, so bullying wasn't an issue. He had a few defects other than the usual drop-eye, and was by no means a show fish, but he was mine.

Anyways, I've been moping around for around a month and I've decided I want to raise another Aro. I've always had silvers, and always wanted a Jar, but I know they have a tendency to murder tank mates. For some reason, I've never considered a Lei. I was doing a bit of reading, and it seems a better fit for me in any ways: They need smaller tanks than silvers, and they can live with tank-mates unlike the Jars. I've seen some threads here, and I know a few of you guys have them. I was just hoping for a bit more insight to their care and behavior. I know they are less common (and more expensive) than other aro's, so I want to do my research.

Any input from current past Lei owners is greatly appreciated.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
I've never owned a lei, but from my understanding they get slightly larger than jars. So you'll need a wider tank than 2ft where as with a jar you could probably get away with that though it wouldn't be best. And they aren't flexible like silvers and blacks are so that also goes against getting away with a narrower tank. Other than that I'd assume care to be same as a jar, just the larger width.

REDTAIL1928

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2005
Probably the gars stressed him. I had a gar with my 24" black and one day I noticed the gar snap at him and when I looked closer, he had spit out a scale. U can images what I did next. GONE!!!!!!!!! That will be the last I ever keep. It was nice too. All silver in color and grew up with the aro as well for 2 yrs. And I also expect that was the one that mauled up my 11" tigrinus as well. One day I look and my tig looks like he went thru a meat grinder!! So since hes got out, the aro is calmer and the tig seems to be healing up. Those teeth and that attitude make for a ticking time bomb. Thats my experience unfortunately.

Sent from my SGH-M819N using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
I currently have a ~6" Lei that I've only had since 3 months back at around 3". He only shares a tank with a pair of 3-4" blood parrots, 3" gold nugget and blue phantom plecos. The only time I see any "aggression" is when the parrots com to the surface to feed on some of "his" pellets. I'll observe that he chases them away (but they always return to the eating scene lol). Interesting is that when he comes down to the bottom to the area they hang out, the parrots will team up and try to scare him away. He in return does not show any aggression back or just ignores them as if they weren't even there. He'll come down to visit and come back up.

I've read mixed between max sizes of Jars and Lei. I've read that actually Jar tend to grow larger, so I'm not sure what the factual on that front. But I have consistently read Jars are more aggressive than Lei consistently. He's been developing nicely the last few months. Just some scrapes and some scale loss from heating on top braces/locks I have.

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
Thanks for the input everyone!

REDTAIL1928, what type of gar do/did you have? That sounds like Gator gar behavior, no my sweet little Florida gar! Still, I will keep an eye on them. Of my two gars, one is definitely more assertive than the the other.

And DN328, thanks for sharing! I have a couple tanks I could use as grow outs until he's big enough to hang with the fish in the 240, but it's nice to know I could grow him out with a couple other fish at the same time. I've been searching for an ornate bichir, and it sounds like a bottom dweller would be a good fit for this guy if/when I get one. If you don't mind me asking, what size tank is your fish in right now?

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
All five "little guys" are in 72x30x28" tank (~260 US gallons). I'll probably keep the community as is and prefer less fish. Most of the time I only see the Lei and parrot couple, the two plecos are hiding under the large pieces of driftwood so you don't even see them. At night when the "moonlight" is on or completely all lights off, I see the Lei swim down and just ignores any of the plecos roaming around so you may have luck with the bichir - just observe their behavior when you get there.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store