New Tank - Bottom Drilled 2 Holes Each Side (same size total of 4) - Sump Help!

Budman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2009
Maryland
Hey Gang,

I just got a new shiny tank that I'm trying to get setup. I'm a rookie upgrading from a 125 Gallon with hang on filters so I need a little hand holding.

I have the two overflow pieces, I think I just silicone them to the glass and run a PVC pipe up behind them? I've read that with 4 holes generally 2 are larger than the others; and the smaller ones are the returns, but I think all mine are the same size :WHOA:

Do I use all 4 to drain into the sump? Are two drains and two returns? What is the best setup for this configuration?

Ideally, I would like to setup a nice sump (I have a 38 gallon, probs too small and too high - might need something long) that has a refugium and all that jazz.

Tank dims are 84x24x31.

Any help guys would be most appreciated.

20150413_180218.jpg

20150413_180223.jpg

20150413_180218.jpg

20150413_180223.jpg

Budman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2009
Maryland
**This will be a freshwater setup.

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
Very nice! I'm not sure what you are supposed to do, but my 240 is set-up the same way, and I have 1 drain and 1 return on each side. You are correct in that you will probably need larger than 38 gallons for the sump. I bought one that was supposed to be rated for 300 gallons, but when I turn off the pump, the water will overflow the sump if I don't start draining it quickly (meaning I'm going to have a serious problem if the power goes out unexpectedly). I think a 75 gallon would make an awesome sump for that size. Section it off to tumble some K1, hang a media reactor off the side, and you will have an awesome set-up. I say that like it's super easy, but it would likely take me a long time. There are plenty more experienced people here to help with that though.

Congrats either way on the new tank though!

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Hey man, I made a thread asking some of the questions you may want to know. See if this thread will answer some questions and feel free to post here or pm me for the rest, I just built one from the ground up basically, learned a lot and had a bunch of fun.

http://monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=604866

Sent from my Z10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Considering the four equal size holes that you have, I would go with as you stated. Two drains, and two returns. This assumes you don't want any pipe hanging over top or want to drill more holes - I think that's your best option.

Budman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2009
Maryland
Thanks! I hope you have a perpetual power supply in the future :)

I'll have to be on the lookout for a nice long tank or stop by the local hardware store and find some rubbermaid thing I can squeeze under my stand and still have room to work with.

Tank on bro!

Budman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2009
Maryland
Considering the four equal size holes that you have, I would go with as you stated. Two drains, and two returns. This assumes you don't want any pipe hanging over top or want to drill more holes - I think that's your best option.
Makes sense - would it be an issue if all the holes were the same size? (I eyeballed it, but I'm pretty sure that's the case. I will measure exactly tomorrow)

That being said, how do you thing the sump should be setup? Two media filters where the water enters the sump, then the refugiums on each side leading to the shared return chamber?

Thanks,

John

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I have a couple tanks drilled on the bottom, and use all holes to drain to the sump with stand pipes. Stand pipes prevent the entire tank from draining to the sump in a power outage, or some other accident. They only drain to the standpipe height, and I place them an inch or 2 below the tank rim.
If it were me, since you have 4 holes, I would make 2 of the stand pipes a bit taller than the others, used as extra precaution in case the other 2 get plugged (and drains can easily be plugged, if fish decide to tear up a plant, or die, etc etc).
Using the 2 higher stand pipes as safety drains, in case an accident happens, they prevent the tank from overflowing.

I sometimes put strainers on standpipes.

and use a PVC cap to quiet draining noise

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Bud - I implemented the "Herbie" method, but I also include a dry stand-by (so it's really Beananimal). There's a lot of information on the web about these approaches, but I found the one by "gmac" to very helpful. It's a quick read and I would suggest you review.

http://gmacreef.com/herbie-overflow-reef-tank-plumbing-method-basics

Since you have 4 drilled holes, and I'm assuming you don't want to drill more or have pipes overhanging, I think it's best to go with two returns and two drains as suggested. I think you'll still be able to implement the Herbie method to have one pipe fully siphoned and the second one having just a slight trickle. I've not have direct experience doing this with two/separate overflow boxes on one tank, but I think the concepts still apply. I think others here that have had dual (corner) overflows can provide some more details on learnings. The Herbie method done correctly is quiet and I think you'll be happy with it.

If it were me I would just have one refugium (although nothing wrong with two). I would just have both drains going to a single mechanical filter, biological, then return pump chamber. Depending on your sump design you could even have a chamber for chemical filtration/pads, and heaters/UV, etc. There are a lot of good examples from members on this forum and internet. I've attached my example to give a sense, but you'll want to plan ahead for how you want to locate the sump underneath the stand and how you want the pipes (PVC or Vinyl) to run to be efficient. I did some "no-no's" for plumbing in using 90degree turns, but I like the look and still met my filter needs. I hope this helps to triggers some ideas and considerations. Keep us posted...

WP_20150302_004.jpg

Budman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2009
Maryland
Bud - I implemented the "Herbie" method, but I also include a dry stand-by (so it's really Beananimal). There's a lot of information on the web about these approaches, but I found the one by "gmac" to very helpful. It's a quick read and I would suggest you review.

http://gmacreef.com/herbie-overflow-reef-tank-plumbing-method-basics

Since you have 4 drilled holes, and I'm assuming you don't want to drill more or have pipes overhanging, I think it's best to go with two returns and two drains as suggested. I think you'll still be able to implement the Herbie method to have one pipe fully siphoned and the second one having just a slight trickle. I've not have direct experience doing this with two/separate overflow boxes on one tank, but I think the concepts still apply. I think others here that have had dual (corner) overflows can provide some more details on learnings. The Herbie method done correctly is quiet and I think you'll be happy with it.

If it were me I would just have one refugium (although nothing wrong with two). I would just have both drains going to a single mechanical filter, biological, then return pump chamber. Depending on your sump design you could even have a chamber for chemical filtration/pads, and heaters/UV, etc. There are a lot of good examples from members on this forum and internet. I've attached my example to give a sense, but you'll want to plan ahead for how you want to locate the sump underneath the stand and how you want the pipes (PVC or Vinyl) to run to be efficient. I did some "no-no's" for plumbing in using 90degree turns, but I like the look and still met my filter needs. I hope this helps to triggers some ideas and considerations. Keep us posted...
What a pretty sump! I love the organization and I need to do the same to keep me sane. Lots of info to digest so I will read those things and take one small step for my sump! Will definitely keep you updated. Excited to take the bulkheads out and start finding PVC fittings to build the pluming. Its like legos but for big kids; I love it.

Glass sumps seem to be the best but I would like to find something that doesn't sacrifice accessibility - something easy to get to (and get into the stand).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store