Need advice- buy a 10 year old 300 gallon tank?

Dis

Dovii
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2010
Hamilton, ON
I need some advice, I'm looking into buying a 300 gallon 96x30x24 tank. The seller swears it is leak free and that the seals are good.

The price is right but the red flags keep going up, it's 10 years old and he has stored it outside for the past couple years.

The dimensions are close to my dream tank so my question is, is it worth the gamble? It could hold water and be amazing, or it could leak and I could try and reseal it, or a seems busts and I'm completely screwed. Thanks for any input.

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
Ask him to leak test it and then go to see it filled.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
10 years old and exposed to the elements for years are not good factors in a tank of this size.

I would only buy this tank if it was going somewhere where flooding isn't a big issue, or if you're willing to take it completely apart and rebuild from the ground up. Either way, I personally, wouldn't pay more than $300. GL

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
I need some advice, I'm looking into buying a 300 gallon 96x30x24 tank. The seller swears it is leak free and that the seals are good.

The price is right but the red flags keep going up, it's 10 years old and he has stored it outside for the past couple years.

The dimensions are close to my dream tank so my question is, is it worth the gamble? It could hold water and be amazing, or it could leak and I could try and reseal it, or a seems busts and I'm completely screwed. Thanks for any input.
If you dont take it please pass the sale onto me. I'm in Brampton

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Dis

Dovii
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2010
Hamilton, ON
Resealing is a possibility but rebuilding it completely sounds like a major task. Thanks for the comments

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
Resealing is a possibility but rebuilding it completely sounds like a major task. Thanks for the comments
I'm in the middle of rebuilding a Marineland 300 from scratch. If u want help I'm less then an hour from you.

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
Aquariums tend to crack or become prone to cracking, if left outside. I just tossed a 25 gallon tank that cracked after being outside all winter. I just couldn't deal with one more tank over the winter so I knew it was a loss even before winter arrived. Winters outside would probably also wreak havoc on sealant.
If it's glass, I just wouldn't do it. I'd much rather pay (double?) for something that I can have peace of mind with.

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
Aquariums tend to crack or become prone to cracking, if left outside. I just tossed a 25 gallon tank that cracked after being outside all winter. I just couldn't deal with one more tank over the winter so I knew it was a loss even before winter arrived. Winters outside would probably also wreak havoc on sealant.
If it's glass, I just wouldn't do it. I'd much rather pay (double?) for something that I can have peace of mind with.
I have never heard of this weakening the glass. I have heard of it ruining the silicone. I know rapid heating and cooling or vice versa can crack glass. Just never heard of it when it's slow

Damurph82

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2015
Knoxville TN
As long as the panels aren't separating I'd go for it depending on the price. If it's clear silicone it'll be easy to see if they're separating or not. I'm not sure how you could tell if they're separating if the black sealant is used. I'd definitely cut the silicone out of the inside and reseal it regardless of whether or not it's leaking.

Sent from my LGUS990 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store