So I got some new oscars today.

OTp1144

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2013
Swimmin' with the fishes
Little did I know it was actually a rescue not just a rehoming.
He claimed they were a mater pair, I'm not so sure...
aKJXLyt.jpg

Here's the "female".
ocbOXEb.jpg

Here's the "male.
wMEf1RG.jpg

On first glance they looked totally healthy, then I looked a little closer, one had very bad pop eye, the other had an open sore on it's bottom jaw. He said the sore was from the "male" biting on the jaw of the "female". Watching them in the tank while we were siphoning water, it seemed they were slightly aggressive toward each other, not a trait you'd expect in a mated pair.

3KeehD7.jpg
UcJRHnJ.jpg

On top of that, the water smelled a little... off... I couldn't quite place it. It was a mix between fish and melafix. It was also very foamy. I figured he'd added some to treat the open wound. Well I decided to test the water when I got home (20 minutes later so still a viable test of his tank water) for kicks...
oMvRzoe.jpg
I stopped after testing for ammonia. It told me all I needed to know. The test turned this color after a minute... I didn't want to wait to see what it would be after the full 5.

Needless to say, I'm grateful to have these gorgeous new fish at no cost to me, but I'm even more grateful they are now in a healthy home with clean water.

aKJXLyt.jpg

ocbOXEb.jpg

wMEf1RG.jpg

3KeehD7.jpg

UcJRHnJ.jpg

oMvRzoe.jpg

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Oscars get it the worst. They're so popular and that leads to so many of them being neglected.
Glad they're in a good home now.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I agree with ehh 100%, surprised they are still alive after the results of that 1 minute ammonia test.

OTp1144

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2013
Swimmin' with the fishes
I agree with ehh 100%, surprised they are still alive after the results of that 1 minute ammonia test.
You and me both!! But considering that, they do look pretty good honestly. I mean, being in such poor conditions, I'd expect them to look so much worse.

So long as the red tail leaves them alone that should be 100% in a week

Sent from my 831C using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
How long were they in the water you tested? I'm guessing u brought them home in a bucket or something?

You would be surprised how quick stressed out Oscars can raise ammonia in a low volume of water. If they were say in a 5 gallon pale for even 20 minutes the water in the pail wouldn't be a very good test to compare his tank water too

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
Congrats on your rescue.

I rescued my oscar a few years ago. I love the little guy.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

OTp1144

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2013
Swimmin' with the fishes
How long were they in the water you tested? I'm guessing u brought them home in a bucket or something?

You would be surprised how quick stressed out Oscars can raise ammonia in a low volume of water. If they were say in a 5 gallon pale for even 20 minutes the water in the pail wouldn't be a very good test to compare his tank water too

They were in about 10 gallons for maybe 10-15 mins before I tested. They were I'm the container for all of 30 before I put them in my tank. Whether they caused the spike or it was his tank, I wanted them out of there sooner than later.

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
They were in about 10 gallons for maybe 10-15 mins before I tested. They were I'm the container for all of 30 before I put them in my tank. Whether they caused the spike or it was his tank, I wanted them out of there sooner than later.

I agree they are better off with you. But 30 mins in 10 gallons no filtration is why the ammonia test is that bad.

OTp1144

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2013
Swimmin' with the fishes
I agree they are better off with you. But 30 mins in 10 gallons no filtration is why the ammonia test is that bad.

It was 10-15 mins but I get what you're saying. Oscars are very dirty, especially when stressed. Like you said, long story short, whether his ammonia was that high or not, still better with me. :)

Mihajlo525

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2015
Canada
I remember when I decided to visit the worst possible pet store I know (not petsmart suprisingly). This store is known for keeping their mammals in overly small cages swimming in urine with no food or water in a noisy stuffy room with hundreds of other birds and mammals. Basically with their fish they order them in, throw them in and if they're bought in time they survive. The people their are illiterate pathetic and rude people as well. Anywho... I remember seeing stunted adult oscars in the back (tons of them) two are kept in 30 gallon tanks at a time and some have either one or BOTH eyes missing! The water is always super cloudy and some tanks don't even have FILTERS! I've even seen dried up dead snakes and reptiles in small tanks with a overly hot heat lamps AND NO HIDES OR WATER BOWL! One day I'm going to sneak a camera in there to record all the crap they do and shut them down for good...

Sent from my GT-S7560M using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store